Author Topic: One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley  (Read 38316 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2015, 05:07:25 pm »
One end is fitted and glued with Uni-bond. You can see by comparing this picture to the last I've changed its shape and location up a good bit. I think I can see what I'm looking for now. I'll wait a few hours and let the work lamps work. Leaving it clamped I'll flip it end for end and start the other fitting. So far so good.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2015, 05:18:30 pm »
That location looks alot better pd
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2015, 05:20:43 pm »
I had intentions of snipping off the left over limb in the other pic. But thinking about it more and moving it around on the limb, I decided to slide it up the radius higher and taper right off the original tip.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2015, 05:55:15 pm »
I think the short side of your triangle of wood would be better situated at an angle closer to that formed by the bar of your clamp. That gives you more room to form the brush groove in a favorable spot.
 Hard to really see that until you get to brace height and see how everything is going to sit but I think you'll wish you had a bit more bulk further up the curve to work with.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Grumley+tip&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=BF8D4C5341BE26DF91F8285F6419F00486463B4F&selectedIndex=49
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 05:59:50 pm by PatM »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 07:58:07 pm »
Perhaps. That picture is a bit deceiving though. I may be cutting it close, but I think it'll work out fine. I drew my desired finished shape on them and it looks good per how I imagine the tips laying at brace.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2015, 08:07:08 pm »
He seems to have made them different every time, perhaps to match the given bow. Some are long and high and other are short and short.  These are just a few examples.

Offline PatM

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2015, 08:13:40 pm »
Those are his two styles though. The shorter one is the bush bow and the other the Deerslayer model. The Deesrlayer style is a little more demanding of precision in having enough material to form the brush deflecting part effectively.
 If you've sketched it out and visualized brace height correctly is should be OK.
 My first try I over finessed the shaping  and at correct brace height the string was floating off the groove by just a hair.  ::)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #67 on: February 26, 2015, 08:18:19 pm »
OOOOOHHH! Bug you every time you looked at it? I know it would me. That stuff just glares in my eyes on MY bows. Thanks for bringing that up. One less thing I have to learn the hard way and one more thing I can tell somebody else.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #68 on: February 26, 2015, 08:18:28 pm »
I've always liked those brush nock tips for looks and the way they keep you from snagging brambles and twigs. Looks like your on your way, good luck.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PatM

« Reply #69 on: February 26, 2015, 08:31:53 pm »
OOOOOHHH! Bug you every time you looked at it? I know it would me. That stuff just glares in my eyes on MY bows. Thanks for bringing that up. One less thing I have to learn the hard way and one more thing I can tell somebody else.
I just ground the corner off and added a piece and then re-shaped it.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #70 on: February 27, 2015, 04:25:14 am »
Lookin' good so far Bud ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #71 on: February 27, 2015, 08:25:03 am »
Pat here is a pic from a few years ago, same form used and same length bow. I think they may work out fine.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #72 on: February 27, 2015, 09:30:30 am »
Those are very beautiful.  Nice work Pearly.  I'll continue watching for sure :)

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #73 on: February 27, 2015, 10:41:12 am »
What is the radius of those hooks?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2015, 10:45:57 am »
Quart paint can A-a-ron.