Author Topic: One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley  (Read 38177 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley
« Reply #90 on: February 28, 2015, 11:32:45 am »
rockin' is good.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #91 on: February 28, 2015, 01:47:44 pm »
This pic shows the tip at a brace of 5 3/4". Pretty dang close to where it will be, within a 1/2" anyway. Id say it'll work just fine.

I have it tillered out to 55 @ 26. The string alignment is dead straight and the string doesn't even think about hopping the groove. If the wood itself holds strong I should be flinging arrows shortly. I have some checks Im watching.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2015, 01:51:44 pm »
I added piano key ivory as overlays. Its very, very thin. I believe Clint salvaged it off an old piano he found. I didn't want anything heavier, but I wanted something to keep the wood from splintering or flaking. So far it looks at seems to work fine. Hopefully it doesn't crack or split on me!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2015, 01:53:30 pm »
 Ha! Nice save. You're going to be  starting the sanding process with 1500 grit to hang onto every molecule of underlay though.  ;D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2015, 02:03:38 pm »
Looking good Pearl Grums.  The ivory was from a civil war era Steinway piano.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2015, 02:23:17 pm »
How are you stringing it Chris?
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2015, 02:37:28 pm »
How are you stringing it Chris?

My least favorite and only way to make it happen, through my legs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2015, 02:39:29 pm »
I got it high 50's @ 28" now. Shot it a few dozen times to settle it in. Feels good. Little extra thump, but not bad. Statics have the coolest feel to them, its all their own.

Offline PatM

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2015, 02:47:00 pm »
Now just slap a little baler twine on the back and you can liven it right up.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2015, 03:01:53 pm »
Looking good, is there a noticeable difference in hand shock with that added weight out on the tips like that compared to one of your normal statics?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2015, 03:28:15 pm »
Slightly Aaron, but I have tip width to give yet. If you could imagine a tip overlay, it really isn't much more weight at all. Just placed on the belly rather.

Offline DavidV

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »
Put some pics up Dave. Id like to see how your doing it as well.

Here's a few. I didn't recurve nearly as much so it'll be closer to the Bushmaster like in the first picture. I'm trying to make it as Grumley-esque as possible. Traced the limb onto a scrap piece of leopardwood and shaped it on the belt sander. I was having trouble getting a perfect matchup so a thin maple lam is put in there as well to spread out the glue line. The glue is Smooth-On and I'm using the toothpick method to keep everything in line.

Springfield, MO

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2015, 04:38:21 pm »
You left a much more appropriate angle on the high side than I did. Mine worked fine, but I should have bumped it down the radius a bit farther, say a 1/2" or so. Yours has more than enough wiggle room to shape it. Should be perfect, that maple will look nice and bright in the stack! Thanks for posting pics. 

Offline Roy

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2015, 05:27:49 pm »
Looks good...

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2015, 06:19:18 pm »
So far, so good!
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.