Author Topic: Something about dogs...  (Read 4784 times)

Offline okie64

Re: Something about dogs...
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2015, 07:30:13 am »

This is my girl using the same mind power as sidewinders, shes part shihtzu and rat terrier.  Had a trusty ole chocolate lab before this one that mysteriously disappeared after 7 years. Hes been gone for almost 3 years now and still not a day goes by that I dont have happy thoughts about him.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2015, 09:57:40 am »
Oh no not milk bone, beggin strips.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2015, 04:59:55 pm »
My life has been blessed with really good dogs...and one great one.  Shasta Sue.  Best bird dog to ever hit the field, bar none!  Not a Bird Dog you say?  Well, technically no, she's a Blue Heeler, Australian Cattle Dog.  But if you ever hunted birds with her you would be forced to agree, that pedigree or not, best bird dog on four legs.  She loved to play ball as most cow dogs do I think, and fetching the ball, stick, rock or any other object became her favorite game.  An obsession really.  At 7 months old she followed me out into the field on opening day of dove season, and for the next 13 years I never went bird hunting without her.  In her prime she was amazing.  Birds were rarely ever lost no matter the obstacle, water, cactus patch, head high sunflowers, deep ravines or even a bird that just wouldn't go down and glided over 2 fence rows before disappearing from sight.  She was obsessed with finding that bird and inevitably, if it was down she would come back with it.  Most amazingly of all, she got to where she would signal me a dove was inbound.  I guess she could hear the whistle of it's wings 3 to 4 seconds before it was visible to the rest of us, and up and away she went, like she had been shot out of a cannon.  I would simply stand and aim in the direction she was running.  As the bird topped the trees I was on it.  At times she would catch them before they ever hit the ground.  If I missed, she would turn and look at me as if to say "what else can I possibly do here?"  She wouldn't honor any other dog and frankly, I just didn't press it.  Folks who showed up with their high dollar dogs had to ultimately put them back in the truck, as she just wasn't going to have some interloper playing on her stage.  She'd fight like a bobcat if another dog picked up a bird.  She loved my little boy and protected him like a momma grizzly.  She also had a little friend at one point.  A stray kitten wandered up from the woods one day.  I was afraid she would kill it but she took on the mother role for this tiny kitten.  At night the little thing would crawl up on Shasta's back and sleep on her shoulders.  Dangdest thing I ever saw.  She finally gave up the ghost Christmas a year ago.  My little boy and I buried her behind the house in a little Red Cedar grove.  I don't believe I will ever see another like her.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:03:11 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2015, 06:18:25 pm »
My girl I have now is blue healer and Australian shepherd.  Same mix? I bred her with a lab and she had some beautiful pups. Unfortunately I couldnt keep any though the one guy I worked with who took a pup says shes his best dog ever. I intend to breed her at least one more time. My lab has since passed on to my hunting grounds and is now part of them. Im trying to figure out a good blood li e to establish to keep her blood line going because she is amazing and saved the life of my wife, son, and I once.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 07:20:13 pm »
Yeah, they are a pretty special breed in my book. The Aussies are a different breed, but great dogs as well.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »
Okie, that is the cutest little rat shiht I have ever seen!

Slimbob, sounds like that dog was a game one, to say the least. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 10:08:11 pm »
Here is my vicious watch dog sleeping with his blankie.  He has slept with his blankie his whole life.  He carries them from room to room with him.  I have never had a dog do anything like this before. He falls asleep with his blankie in his mouth.  He is a Jack Russell Terrier mix and is now 12 years old.  He is a good dog.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 10:25:01 pm »
I somehow knew you had a dog and were "dog people", Swampman.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2015, 11:17:24 pm »
JW, dogs are great companions.  My dog snickers spends a lot of time in my shop with me.  He just loves to be wherever his people are.  Great topic JW.