Author Topic: Recurve string liftoff  (Read 5452 times)

Offline DC

Re: Recurve string liftoff
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 08:31:19 pm »
PatM   That's the object of recurves, isn't it? You want the f/d curve to rise sharply and then level off to get more grunt under the curve?

PD   So would a long slow curve to 90 degrees produce a gradual change in the f/d and an abrupt right angle would produce an abrupt change. Gee that follows, even I can wrap my head around that :D

So the objective is to get the f/d to go straight up and then level off and to do it without wheels. Wouldn't that take big hooks that don't lift off until the last minute?

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 08:37:11 pm »
Either big hooks or long sharply angled siyahs.
 The two bows that people often mention feeling let-off with are the Manchu style Chinese bows or the modern Border Covert   The Covert Hunter has hooks that look like whole sheep horns. It only rises a pound or so per inch in the last part of the draw.

Offline DC

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 09:05:45 pm »
That Covert Hunter would be hard to do in a self bow ::) ::)

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:42 pm »
I should post a picture of one I'm working on.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:39:10 pm by PatM »

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 10:26:56 pm »
So how much affect would something with curves like this show?

Kyle

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 10:36:43 pm »
It's easy to do. Just write down the weight for each inch of draw and make a graph. I'm finding this very interesting. It may not affect the bows I make much but it's very cool to know :D :D

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 09:02:48 pm »
At lift off the bow effectively becomes longer which causes that deflection in the graph line,

In a recurve with string contact or bridges, the bow acts like a short, stout bow headed for a high, stacky draw weight with poor leverage.  It acts like a short, overdrawn straight limb bow.  At some point of the draw, the string lifts and begins exercising its leverage against the tip of the bow, instead of where it was touching the bow.  The bow is now 8" longer than it was, or whatever.  Suddenly, it is headed for a much lower draw weight, has tons of leverage, and is already AT much of it's total draw weight.

I DON'T prefer tiny, tight radius static recurves that go to 90 degrees, but they work great on wooden bows.  They lift off slowly, just creeping the string up the curves  I like deflexed bows (for stability and to reduce belly strain) with bigger recurves that hit 60 degrees or so.  They have really high string tension before you even start to draw, and the bow gets longer and the leverage increases, starting after just a few inches of draw.  I often add string bridges because I can lower strain on the wood by using them, and they make the recurves act like they have more angle than they do.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 09:19:09 pm »
I'm thinking of pursuing this a bit with OS but I don't have a bunch of seasoned staves. What I do have is a bunch of seasoned off cuts that would make one limb of a three piece take down. Could I make up limbs with different recurves and just grab the thick end in the vice and bend a single limb to see how it behaves? That way I wouldn't have to worry about getting both sides the same. I could use a stiff board to simulate the other limb. I hope you can follow my reasoning

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 10:38:31 pm »

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 10:15:54 am »
Woweee. How wide is that Pat? Wood type?

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 10:25:02 am »
 Over 2 inches wide. Elm of course. Wish the handle was a bit deeper but it split out a bit shallow. I don't really want to glue any pieces on so I think I'll heat treat the handle  to stiffen it and then build it up all around with cork or similar.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 11:05:59 am »
Why so thin at the apex Pat? Adding a stiffener?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 11:17:50 am »
Why so thin at the apex Pat? Adding a stiffener?
  It's actually not that thin and it bent with no slivers that require  reduction.  I already toasted them to set them further.
 I might just add stiffeners in the form of brush nocks to show a struggling newbie the fine art.  >:D

« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 12:06:09 pm by PatM »