Author Topic: sinew layers  (Read 8604 times)

Offline PatM

Re: sinew layers
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 09:57:06 pm »
Not sure if I agree with that. 

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 12:34:15 am »
Explain why you are not sure, Pat.   Also, how do I get the sinew to lie straighter?  I found that every attempt I made at "fixing" it seemed to make the straightness worse--especially where ends butt up against each other.  For what it is worth, I did add another thin layer of sinew, mostly to fill some voids, so for this bow I am done, but for the next one, I am interested in all of your opinions.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 07:27:27 am »
Leg sinew Jeff?
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:59 am »
I just don't think any appreciable thickness of sinew becomes low stretch. That's not the nature of the material.
 Hard to describe how to get sinew lying straighter unless I could see how you are getting such wiggles in yours.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2015, 09:18:01 am »
I think a lot starts with how you prep it. Even soaked in a hot pot of hide glue some of that stuff still is hard and resilient. Im very picky about what sinew I use. I generally process way more than I need, then pick and choose the cleanest and most soft bunches. The rest goes to friends ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 11:12:34 am »
I think we don't stress enough that you need a lot of time to apply sinew. It can't be rushed. I may be slow, but it takes me hours (4 ish)to apply one ounce. Like PD said, sometimes it doesn't soften up well. Jeff is using Back sinew, He and I got it from Fred Arnold. The vast majority of the stuff I have processed was good, although some was a bit greasy.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 12:21:33 pm »
Nope.  I used elk leg sinew primarily on this one.  Collected it from the game processing plant during hunting season.  You should have seen the look on my wife's face when I came home with a bag full of elk legs and started skinning and stripping sinew.  She isn't quite used to this stuff yet.  I had it shredded pretty soft and fine, but it was still a little twisty some of the time.  Fred's back sinew is waiting until I know a little better what I am doing.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2015, 02:45:54 pm »
 >:( I stand corrected.  ;D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.