Author Topic: Build Along ( building by mass)  (Read 68528 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Build Along ( building by mass)
« Reply #165 on: February 09, 2008, 11:01:36 pm »
I think I have it bending into fades fairly well, I'm going for a more elliptical tiller
with quite stiff outer limbs. I put it on the form today I only ended up with 1" of reflex
my form isn't very agressive. I will give it a few days to rehydrate then finish er up.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Woodbear

« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2008, 08:27:46 pm »
Steve,

Thanks for having a look at the bow.

You are right about having the bow calculated for strain. The bow was calculated for 0.7% strain in the working arms, and slightly less strain in the handle. The center 6 inch of the bow is at 0.6% strain, adjusting to full strain (0.7%) outside of the center 12inches.

The bow mass is 18 Oz. …….I consider the handle as somewhere between full, and semi-working, as the strain is only 15% less than the arms. So, I was thinking that the value to put in to the formula for handle length would be something less than ½ of the 12 inch reduced strain length.  However it takes 8 inch (which is more than ½ of 12) to get the actual bow mass. I designed for 28 inch draw to have a bit of safety margin. The bow has 1.5 inch of just unbraced set after use at up to about 26 inch draw. (About 1 inch set rested) It has a crowned belly and is oak so I thought the set to be about right.

Do you think that for a narrowed handle bow, intended to have a working handle, there still needs to be some handle length value put in to the formula, as opposed to, say, a full working ELB style?

Dave

Offline Badger

« Reply #167 on: February 11, 2008, 04:28:19 am »
Dave, I would bet if you had a little more bending in the inner limb it would not have taken that set, I based the projected mass on the tiller you used, it did take a bit of set there so could have used a bit more width in the high bending area ( little more mass) I really like the way you gradualy taper your limbs out of the fades into their high bending areas being the widest, that is a good example of mass logic as it applies to bows. I have one right now I am tillering with the utmost care, so far out to 26" and no sign of set yet, I hope I can make it out to 28" with no set but seldom do with this particular design.

Offline Badger

« Reply #168 on: February 11, 2008, 02:35:25 pm »
Trying another experiment just to see how close it comes. Took a 1 1/2X3/4" red oak board 72" long.
I left the center 16" of the bow paralell and tapered the remaining limb to 3/8 tips. After rounding off the corners the stave weighs 21 oz. The center is bending but not as much as the rest of the bow so I am going to give the center a value of 4" for stiff handle and fades. According to this the bow should come out around 65# with no tillering. I am curious how close it will come, if it doesnt break. Going to go cut some nocks and check the draw weight, wish me luck LOL.  Steve

Offline Badger

« Reply #169 on: February 11, 2008, 03:07:20 pm »
Came out pretty close, bow is drawing 65# @25" and need a little tillering in the outer limbs where it is a bit too stiff. Aftet tillering those out even the bow will be down to about 18.5 oz where the formula says it should draw about 52#. Going to proceed there. Steve

Offline Badger

« Reply #170 on: February 11, 2008, 03:24:26 pm »
      Well, didn't have to take off as much wood as I thought, bow is at 19 1/4 oz, should be good for about 57#, right now pulling 60# at 26". Taking about 3/4' set, mostly from when I was drawing it to 65#. Not really a great piece of wood and I don't have much time in it so I think I will go ahead and just draw it out to 28" to see if it breaks or takes excessive set. BRB.......
       Survived about 1/2 dozen draws to 28" then let go. Was pulling 67# at 28" a bit too heavy for that wood, at 57# it would have been reliable. This was about letting the formula drive the draw weight, seemed to do that pretty well. Steve

Offline DanaM

« Reply #171 on: February 11, 2008, 03:29:30 pm »
Steve do add a little extra mass for a character stave???
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Badger

« Reply #172 on: February 11, 2008, 03:32:24 pm »
Dana, on character stves I just play them by ear like anyone would do. If the character is confined to small pin knots I try to keep the mass pretty close, or if the character is a series uf humps and bump without knots I will try to stay close, but yes I do add allow extra but no figures for that I just wing it. Steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2008, 10:25:40 pm »
  Steve, Did I miss the finished bow? what happened to the Mulberry one you were going to do at the same time? Looking forward to seeing it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #174 on: February 24, 2008, 10:30:39 pm »
i think my head just exploded ;D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #175 on: February 24, 2008, 11:20:15 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D I got lost in all the mass jamie. Well , what happened to the Mulberry bow? :-\
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Badger

« Reply #176 on: February 25, 2008, 01:07:24 am »
 Eddie, I have been running growth rings on it for the last 2 weeks lol. Took a while longer than I thought to get the ring I wanted my shop is outside so the rain slows things down. I should be back on it this week. The wood looks real good , I have two other mulberry staves here that are not nearly as dense. Steve

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #177 on: February 25, 2008, 11:27:00 pm »
 Cool Steve, I was looking forward to seeing what you get out of it.
Lakeland, Florida