Author Topic: Target Shooting  (Read 5502 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Target Shooting
« on: January 05, 2008, 12:54:44 pm »
Some people say shooting your steel points, or broadheads for practice at a foam target dulls them. i dont know whether it does or does not anyone shoot their broadheads at targets?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline DanaM

Re: Target Shooting
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 12:57:00 pm »
Steel trade points I do to make sure thier flying ok. Then I just resharpen them.
I'm not sure with stone, but I would expect you want to test them out.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 01:16:30 pm »
I test shoot every arrow before I hunt with it whether it be stone, trade or store bought points. They can all be resharpened.  I've seen some screwy arrow flight with some points and I want to be sure the arrows fly well before I hunt with them.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 05:02:55 pm »
thats what i was figgerin gotta make sure they fly good.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 08:57:32 am »
I mostly use steel and it don't dull them bad and if it dose it isn't any trouble to touch them up
that is if I hit the target. ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Glenn R.

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:40:08 pm »
Ditto, I alaways shoot my hunting arrows to make sure they're tuned, then I sharpen them. I have spare arrows with broadheads the same weight that I use strictly for practice. 2 months prior to hunting season you'll never catch me shooting a field point--Broadheads only!--- They will show flaws in your form that field point will not. Use hay round bales for practice and if using homemade tradepoints make sure they have a swept back angle like Zwickey eskimo's.

costicaldad

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 11:32:43 pm »
i test all arrows i make by shooting at a cardboerd target with sawdust backing i have a sawmill up the road but you can get sawdust from hardwear stores they are normaly happy to give it to you so they dont have to get rid of it

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2008, 12:59:39 am »
I practice with broadheads exclusively. This ensures that I am confident with my equipment before the hunt. I also sharpen my points just before I plan on using them . Hunting with a back quiver can dull the points just by having them bouncing around in the quiver on the way to the hunting area. I believe the key to being successful is practice, practice ,practice, sharp points and shot placement.practice with what you are going to hunt with. Mike
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2008, 08:33:49 am »
i put some sheepskin in my back quiver to quiet them and keep them sharper
Modern Day Tramp