Author Topic: Jute twine backing question  (Read 9159 times)

Offline PatM

Re: Jute twine backing question
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2015, 07:56:44 pm »
Well a sinew backing is glued with animal glue to "plant" fiber... ;)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2015, 10:43:17 pm »
I always used Titebond 2 or 3 on burlap and silk. Well not always. I backed a bow with (animal product) silk and used hide glue. It came off in a rain storm.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 03:53:32 am »
Thanks for chipping in Springbuck. I would prefer to chase a ring but they look really thin and I fear it would frustrating in the extreme. I'll think on about the glue. Cheers :)
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 05:26:35 am »
Thanks for chipping in Springbuck. I would prefer to chase a ring but they look really thin and I fear it would frustrating in the extreme. I'll think on about the glue. Cheers :)

As far as I understand it, it's not a matter of violating a ring on the back, rather than the angle at which fibers are violated (see also TBB2: board bows). So the thinner the rings, the more safely you can violate a ring. Many thin-ringed yew bows fail to follow a single sapwood ring entirely

Offline sieddy

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 05:43:02 am »
As it happens I don't think I've cut through to the heartwood. But still think I'll back it as insurance!
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2015, 05:55:38 pm »

I don't see why anyone would want to use ANIMAL based glues on PLANT fibers, though.  It'll work, and it's strong.  But wood glue is formulated for wood, and jute is going to have WAY more in common with wood than collagen-based animal fibers like sinew or hide.

I'm a bit late with this reply... Had to look it up.
Wood glue, at least regular (eg titebond) is liquid hide glue to which urea was added to keep it liquid and stop it from gelling at room temperature. So essentially, there will be hardly any difference. Hide glue granules or gelatin leaves do have a longer shelf life. Moreover, you can control viscosity and tackiness more by adding granules, reducing the volume (evaporation) or adding water.
But bonding properties are very similar.

J

Offline sieddy

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2015, 06:50:27 pm »
That's very interesting Joachim thanks for the Input. :)