Author Topic: Osage long bow  (Read 9547 times)

Stringman

Re: Osage long bow
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2015, 08:18:20 pm »
Looking pretty good. A little flat on the right inner third.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2015, 08:48:01 pm »
How low is low?
20 lbs unfortunately
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 08:51:04 pm »
Looking pretty good. A little flat on the right inner third.
ya I tell you what I can't get that side to bend right there. It's got a weird wavy area that is really hard to tiller. It looked almost spot on in person but I see it in the picture. I scraped that spot so many times and it just would never get right I was thinking maybe it was the hump in the wood that makes it look weird but I could be wrong I am a newb. Thanks for the response stringman

Offline Parnell

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 10:41:07 pm »
That is looking pretty good!   Too bad about the weight, but its all part of learning.  With Osage you can push the wood.  You could shorten the bow and pick up some weight.  For a 28" draw, doubling the length is reasonable...56" between nocks is definitely possible with bend through the handle, maybe more.  If you were to pike it you could pick up 10# or so, or turn it into a true shorty and sinew back to get up to hunting weight.  There are options...
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2015, 12:57:42 am »
That is looking pretty good!   Too bad about the weight, but its all part of learning.  With Osage you can push the wood.  You could shorten the bow and pick up some weight.  For a 28" draw, doubling the length is reasonable...56" between nocks is definitely possible with bend through the handle, maybe more.  If you were to pike it you could pick up 10# or so, or turn it into a true shorty and sinew back to get up to hunting weight.  There are options...
glad you chimed in Steve. I think I will try piking it and see where I stand and go from there.