Author Topic: hhb bow in the works  (Read 2542 times)

Offline alwayslookin

hhb bow in the works
« on: March 05, 2015, 05:11:17 pm »
I have a hhb bow I'm working on right now it's got a four inch handle and three inch fades. Is that about right? I see some use 2 inch fades some use 3 inch. Just trying to figure out the best way to lay this bow out. Any and all ideas are welcome.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline PatM

Re: hhb bow in the works
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 05:39:39 pm »
 Fades have more to do with bow length and how much limb length you are willing to take out of commission.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 05:44:49 pm »
My fades are all under 2"
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline NonBacked

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 05:46:28 pm »
Fade length is a personal preference and you’ll get several ideas from the bowyers here. There are, however, some physical considerations that will make a difference:
1. The width of the limbs near the handle. As a minimum, I like to keep my fade length the same as the width of the limbs. This will lower the stress at the sharp transition angles from the fades to limbs. Lately, I’ve been making the fades longer because they’re more graceful looking (to me).
2. The type of wood you’re using and the bow design will sometimes require all the limb material you can get to ensure a durable bow with adequate poundage. In this case keep the dips and the fades short, and hold the limb width parallel past the mid point.
3. If you’re using a narrow sapling with a high crown, there will be a natural width limit on the fades and, their length will usually be whatever is pleasing to the bowyer’s eyes.

There is lots of room for variations and experimenting with the fade lengths. Some of the older bowyers, back in the 40’s, used fades that were about 1/3 the length of the limbs – they worked and they look pretty good too…
H   

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 06:10:29 pm »
got to believe non-backed give some good advice right there.... think about fades as gradual transitions between working and non-working parts....the size and shape are a matter of taste and still being not abrupt. (I'm one of them old guys so take it for what it's worth ::)
rich

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2015, 11:28:42 am »
Thanks guys. Here is another question I have been having a hard time with coming under weight on my bows. The bow is pretty long right now I was wondering though what would be the best limb profile for hhb and also what would be the best profile for possibly  having to pike it to gain some weight back it I do end up under weight again.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2015, 12:16:00 pm »
If you are looking to finish up in the 50's#, cut your initial thickness at 5/8".  At floor tiller it won't bend at all.  Go slow and get your ground tiller perfect!
1’—>1’

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 12:25:45 pm »
I don't think there is any other way to go with this wood. I think it's part concrete. Which will hopefully make it work out better for my weight. Thanks steve