Author Topic: thanks everyone  (Read 2136 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
thanks everyone
« on: March 10, 2015, 07:14:37 pm »
Hi All,

Back through the New year and January I asked for so much help making my first bow that its virtually open-sourced! Thanks everyone tor all your help. Now I finally made a string I can post some pics., although the image quality is awful.  Once its oiled and waxed I'll put up some better quality photos.  Stats are 60" ntn, hazel hollow-limb pyramid, draws to 29" max, antler nocks with a linen string. Any and all crtiticisms are welcome, bottom limb looks to be working too hard to me but it is 4" shorter than the top limb which might be a bit stiff in the top 1/4. Arrow pass is 1/4" above half way point. 

I can never get set and string follow the right way round, but the bow has 1.5 inches of set (permanent bend), and 1 inch string follow which disappears within ten minutes of de-stringing. Draw weight is unknown, my (new) scales say 17lb but I haven't calibrated them and the bow feels a lot stronger than that and shoots similarly to the 25lb bows at the club.  The young archer is very happy  :laugh:

Offline wizardgoat

Re: thanks everyone
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 07:25:52 pm »
Looks a lot better than my first, congrats

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 07:35:55 pm »
Had lots of help :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 08:38:32 pm »
Congratulations! Just curious as the why the bottom limb ended up 4 inches shorter?
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 11:46:13 pm »
U could probly lose and inch or two from the top limb and it'd gain a little weight and look a little more even. Either way good job
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 04:13:05 am »
Bottom limb is shorter by the length of the grip. I did wonder about shortening the top limb as I managed to crysal it near the tip when I got clumsy stringing it but have left it for the time being