Author Topic: easy way to taper board bows with diy jigs ?  (Read 7494 times)

Offline bow-noob

Re: easy way to taper board bows with diy jigs ?
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 04:30:23 pm »
CNC  machine ftw.

Pat - Agh ya, no access to a CNC machine, and not worth it for the scale of the project I have in mind.  I could see someday but not now, just looking for the best DIY jig or machine build that isn't to expensive or time consuming to build to be able to do the rough tapers in board bows, then i will fine tiller with just scraper.

missilemaster I have been making self bows for about 14 years, but still consider myself a noob as i have just stuck to one style of bow and one wood. how about you ?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 04:36:36 pm by bow-noob »

Offline bow-noob

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 04:37:47 pm »
What kind of bow are we talking about, if it's a pyramid check out my build a long, easy board bow in the how to section, i use a tablesaw in it

Hi, these are typical american flatbows  of hickory or yew backed with bamboo.

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2015, 04:49:17 pm »
Noob as far as misslemaster he's one of the top builders here, with the number of posts you have made and questions you have asked pluss your user name ypu can probably see why he asked and why you have gotten some of the responses you have, that said glad to have you here
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2015, 04:51:54 pm »
I downloaded those plans from that YouTube link a while ago, seems like an enexpensive thickness sander to me
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bow-noob

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2015, 04:57:03 pm »
totally understand !  As i said i am a total noob i can sure make a mean english selfbow of yew wood, just hand me a draw knife and a rasp and come see me in a couple of days, but i am trying to build up some tools to make some board bows. Nice to meet you too thanks for the welcome !

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2015, 06:21:43 pm »
I havent built near the amount of lam bows as some of the guys on here so I'm still learning too. I use an aluminum taper block fed through a drum sander. I just rip it close to what I want on a bandsaw and do the rest in the sander. Welcome aboard. :)
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2015, 06:27:00 pm »
Are you aiming for quantity or quality?  Sounds like you want to mass produce wooden bows. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left