Author Topic: Ipe for something else  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Sidmand

Ipe for something else
« on: February 12, 2015, 11:09:09 am »
I have several pieces of Ipe, most are 1 1/4 inch wide by about 1/2" thick (I think, can't remember but I can take pictures), some are the same width but a little thinner.  Most of them are also right at 60" long, I have one longer one that isn't quite as wide.  I'd like to trade some of them for some other kind of wood; I like Ipe but I have a few board bows and laminate bows under my belt now and I really want to try to do a selfbow from a stave.  I'm open to offers, just let me know what you think is fair.

I live in Alabama and will be at a couple of local shoots in the next few weeks, ed of February and hopefully middle of march as well.  If your going to be local and visiting those shoots I'd be happy to bring some stuff out to trade there as well.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 01:12:01 pm by Sidmand »
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Ipe for something else
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 11:14:32 pm »
i have some really straight and clean maple staves and a stave of clean hop-hornbeam with a bit of side ways bend in it that i would be willing to trade if your interested.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:15:53 pm »
PM sent

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 11:41:19 pm »
I made a self bow out of ipe once. It was beautiful because of how ipe finishes. Any of that capable of self bow quality?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 09:30:30 am »
I have mostly 60" pieces of Ipe, I think I have 3 sticks of ipe 60" long that are a bit over 1/2" thick, and 3 or 4 that are 60" long and a bit under 1/2" thick.  Those pieces will be between 1 1/4" wide to 1 1/2" wide, nice and dark and heavy.

I have one other piece that is a little narrower and probably a little less than a half inch thick, it's a redder color.  I think it's around 65 or 70 inches long, I would have to look.

If your interested in either of those, just PM me and we can work out details.  JonW, I replied to your PM this morning.  Thank you all guys!
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 12:05:17 pm »
Still have some of that Ipe, and not only would I consider staves, but I'd also be real interested in arrow making stuff - particularly a decent number of cane/bamboo shafts, some turkey feathers, trade points or glue on points, etc.  A good scale or spine tester would be pretty awesome as well.  I am finishing up a boo-backed ipe and need some arrows that won't offend it's simplistic nature.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 12:13:35 pm by Sidmand »

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 09:10:48 pm »
I think I sent you a pm, but I've got cane shafts that I've straightened and spined, I can also do finished cane arrows. Need length and spine weight.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.