Author Topic: Trying to tan some hides  (Read 6334 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Trying to tan some hides
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:53:09 pm »
I have a few hides in the freezer and decided it was time to figure out how to tan them.  I started with a fawn hide and two chipmunks.  I was going to take them to the Moontree get together and work on them with the guys down there but I thought it would be better to keep the mess at home.  These hides were given to me by a couple of coworkers.  Today I scraped them as clean as I could get them.  I covered them in salt and worked it into the skin.  I folded them in half and then rolled them up.  I'm following the directions on the tanning formula that I bought.  I hope they turn out good.  I still have the deer hide from my first primitive kill in the freezer and I want to tan it.

I'm totally new to hide tanning so if you see that I'm doing something wrong or have any tips please let me know. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Trying to tan some hides
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:03:29 pm »
Boy double o u got them nice and clean ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:21:22 pm »
It was a lot of scraping.  I think I got the membrane off.  At least I hope I did.  I don't want to scrape any more.  And there was about 500 burrs in the deer hide that I picked out.

Offline tipi stuff

• Curtis Carter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 09:41:43 pm »
If you are brain tanning the fawn, it probably won't soften the way a grown deer will. The same is true for bison calves. When they are finished, they usually have a kind of crackly feel to them such as you get with poorly tanned buckskin. I'm not sure why the baby critters don't tan as well, but this has been my experience. I am not trying to dissuade you, just prepare you. Plains tribes used them for berry bags, as do I. Theirs didn't come out soft either. They are pretty cool regardless! I cannot speak for the chipmunks. I've never tried tanning those before.    Curtis

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:01:03 pm »
Thanks Curtis.  I'm not brain tanning these.  I saved several deer brains and have them in the freezer but I decided to go with a liquid tanning solution that I bought online.  That's strange about the young hides not turning out soft.  I wonder if their skin didn't have the time to mature and develop enough. I was thinking of making a quiver out of the fawn so it doesn't have to be soft.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 05:01:43 am »
Hope they turn out good for you, Looks like you done a good job scrapping, I don't do hair on and have never used salt or Bought tanning solution so can't advise at all but will be watching. ;) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 07:24:04 am »
Well, since you have all that fleshing/scraping experience, I'd suppose that you would be the go-to guy at Moontree.  I have 8 beaver, 3 bobcats, a coyote, a red fox, and a coon that need some attention.  Let me know when you get them done.  :o ;) :)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 01:41:55 pm »
Thanks Curtis.  I'm not brain tanning these.  I saved several deer brains and have them in the freezer but I decided to go with a liquid tanning solution that I bought online.  That's strange about the young hides not turning out soft.  I wonder if their skin didn't have the time to mature and develop enough. I was thinking of making a quiver out of the fawn so it doesn't have to be soft.

I can tell you my hide has stretched a LOT since I've "matured and developed" ....

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:29 pm »
Mine to Paoliguy  ;D 

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 06:17:39 pm »
I have never done one but would like too. I will be watching also.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 09:38:08 pm »
I'm trying to figure it out as I go Chief.  I'm just following the directions on the tanning formula bottle.  I scraped off all the salt and put a new layer down.  I won't be able to work on them again until the weekend so I'll have to throw them back in the freezer tomorrow.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 10:33:55 pm »
Man, those hides are scraped clean. Good job, Clint.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 10:54:08 pm »
Thanks Eddie.  I started in the center and got what I think is the membrane opened up.  I just kept working it around with the knife and kind of rolled it all the way to the edge of the skin.  It took a good while to do it.  I'm not looking forward to doing that on a full size deer hide. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2015, 05:11:29 am »
They are a hole lot easier to flesh right off the deer Clint, 15/20 minutes tops. I use a fleshing pole and semi dull draw knife. :)Also your pictures have gone for some reason  ??? :-\ :-\
  Pappy
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 07:43:00 am by Pappy »
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2015, 07:28:59 am »
That's some of the cleanest fleshing I have ever seen.  Also, it is the first chipmunk I have ever seen fleshed.  That fawn hide should make a nice quiver.  Hate to ever see a fawn expire, but glad it is going to good use.  What did you use to flesh with?  I have a cheap fleshing knife that is better suited as a boat anchor, or I need some serious lessons on it.  I just can't seem to get the hang of it. 
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN