Author Topic: check out my tillering disaster  (Read 9747 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: check out my tillering disaster
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 04:50:39 pm »
If you want a 50# bow then ALWAYS pull with 50# weight unless you can see a tillering problem before you have pulled that much.
So on a long string pull 50# and remove wood until the tips come back 6". Then go to short string and pull 50#
If you always pull 50# you'll end up with 50.
It is a big mistake to think you don't have to pull 50# to get it back on the long string.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2015, 02:47:26 pm »
What do you guys think will give me the most poundage I can either flip the tips keeping length as is or I can pike 1in or 2 off each tip? Just wondering which one I would benefit more from.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2015, 06:43:08 pm »
Making a bow shorter to pick up weight can often be a case of chasing your tail.  You can end up where you started, you just have a shorter bow.  The limbs become more stressed and the bow takes on set.  Net 0 gain.  I have piked a bunch of them over the years, but prefer to plan in the length I want, and work from there.  Flipping the tips can sometimes cause some of the same issues.  I don't know the length, but I would say flip the tips before piking.  If your real long, 70 inches for a 27 inch draw for example, then cutting a few inches off each end will still keep you long enough, 66 inches or there about.  If you are already that short, then flip the tips in my opinion.  Should up the weight a bit if your tiller is good.  If not, then get it right first.
I will still come in light on some.  Not by much and not often, but it still happens especially if there is a particular issue I am working around so don't beat yourself up over it.  Identify WHY your coming in light, and modify your technique.  For me, getting a string on it early is key.  That first requires a good floor tiller so all is pretty even while bending 5 inches or so.  Then check it with a long string moving the tips that same 5 inches while on the tiller stick.  Get the limbs even with a straight edge at that distance.  Now, get a shorter sting on it braced an inch or 2.  Work the limbs moving an inch at a time.  Get them bending right and even, and then shorten the string and increase the brace height to 3 inches or so.  Keep taking baby steps until you have it braced 5 inches or so.  Perfectly even at brace.  You will be heavy at this point, so just start shedding pounds slowly while keeping the tiller even.  Check the weight and see at what length you hit 50.  15 inches?  20 inches?  Your good to go.  Tiller has to be right from the moment you start flexing the limbs.  The earlier the better off you will be.  If it's near perfect once floor tillered (not likely), then your golden.  If not then get that right before anything else happens.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

mikekeswick

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 04:44:15 am »
Best way to make a 50# bow - do what Del suggested above and start again. Trying to make this attempt 50# is as also said above 'chasing your tail'.

Offline OTDEAN

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 04:49:56 am »
Don't listen to Mike, his bows always come out at about 25lbs  ;D

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 07:02:42 am »
More like 2.5#........... ;)

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 10:01:11 am »
Haha thanks guys. Slim Bob very good read thank you for your thorough response. The reason I asked I'm not trying to chase my tail exactly I left this bow extra long 71 inches just in case I needed to pike it a bit. I think I will shorten it a bit and then just leave it as is  and keep working on my Osage stave I have. I will be getting  a bunch of mulberry and crepe myrtle thus week too so I should have some decent wood to work with.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 02:05:23 pm »
if you shorten it ,, it is possible to gain some weight and performance, there are issues as stated above,, but if you are careful,, positive results can be obtained,, if you are unhappy with the way the bow is now,, there is no risk in fine tuning a bit,, sometimes when a bow is too long, the extra mass really takes away from the cast,, and may add hand shock,,  it might need a little trim  :)  chasing ones tale is very common, sometimes the tiller may not look perfect,, but the bow shoots great,, looking perfect can be the enemy,, at that point you have to decide if you want the weight and good shooting bow,, or the "perfect" looking bow ,, the later can sometimes end in underweight and still not "Perfect" looking tiller :)

Offline joachimM

• Good - better - broken
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2015, 08:19:16 am »
if you shorten it ,, it is possible to gain some weight and performance, there are issues as stated above,, but if you are careful,, positive results can be obtained

I added an excel sheet where you can input current bow length and draw weight and desired draw weight to see how long the bow should be (and therefore how much you should shorten it). Also works for thickness (e.g., for knowing how much you should shave off to lower draw weight to desired level).
Suppose your bow draws 35# at 66", it should be shortened to 58.6" to get to 50# assuming the wood can take the extra stress. (this can also be estimated if you know the wood's stiffness and elasticity).

Joachim

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2015, 11:26:31 am »
thats cool joachim.. thank you
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2015, 12:10:55 pm »
Thanks guys for the input. Joachim that's cool I'm gonna try that out.