Author Topic: Heart Wood Bow Question  (Read 1996 times)

Offline Christophero

Heart Wood Bow Question
« on: March 19, 2015, 02:02:58 pm »
I have the last stave of pignut hickory from a log that was sawn for me about 7 years ago.  I suspected at least one woodpecker hole under the bark but found 3.  This would leave only 53" if those were cut out.  Not really in the mood for a shorty so I am considering turning the stave over to make it a board bow.  Then it dawned on me that it would be all heartwood if made in that manner. 
Not wanting to make a bow doom to failure thought it would be best if I asked if this is a good idea or better to take a plane to the bark side to remove the holes and use the white wood, not the heartwood.
Thanks for your educated suggestions.

Offline Dances with squirrels

Re: Heart Wood Bow Question
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 02:11:38 pm »
How deep are the holes? I have successfully chased down through hickory rings to find a good sound one.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline Christophero

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 02:17:31 pm »
About 5/16".  Lot of chasing and I am not sure I have the patience at the moment.  We'll see.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 11:12:28 pm »
I assume the woodpecker holes must be in an area where you can't design around them?  If they are in the last five inches or so of the tip you can probably leave them and it will be OK since that part of the limb doesn't need to bend.  Otherwise, you may have to chase several rings down.  I've done that to get to a good back but it is a pain.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2015, 05:52:17 am »
Was the tree standing dead or damaged, wood peckers don't usually work on  good wood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:00:31 am »
Must be a real energetic wood pecker to take on a healthy Hickory

If the rest of the stave's worked out fine this one should too some folks report problems with heart wood but I have not had any problems with it yet
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Christophero

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 01:51:08 pm »
The tree was healthy and standing when logged out of the woods.  At first I was thinking this was a nail hole but when I peeled the bark back it shows three holes in a row.  Reminds me of how woodpeckers make lines of holes around trees.  The other staves I turned into board bows or laminates, years ago.  This was the only one left.  Was hoping for a true self bow out of this one but the holes won't allow enough length.  Only 53" tops.  I may remove enough wood to make a bow but I won't worry too much about chasing a ring, if I do.  It's Hickory, it can handle a bit of grain violation.
Or, I will make a board bow out of the heartwood and back it with rawhide I made from deer. 
I was thinking some of you have experience with the heartwood.  Believe I've seen where Pappy has done it a time or two but didn't know if this would be too brittle to be durable over time.
Thanks for the replies.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2015, 02:31:35 pm »
Will all the holes be in the bow limb ?
you may get by with just one or two if they are well into the center of the limb width , edges and crowns are the last place you want weak spots
 there are going to be a bunch of folks on here that say its not safe
you will want to leave that area stiffer and you will have to bevel the hole edges smooth  or not let it bend at all there
I have done bows with bug holes before so I know they can be done , but as always there is no guarantee  and get ready for a bunch of folks to tell you how foolish I am for saying it can be done
As always I want you to know how to play by the rules before you start learning to break them , so any beginners please don't follow what I just said , we don't want anyone hurt
Have fun and enjoy the ride
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !