Author Topic: Need help finding an Osage tree for my first bow...  (Read 4990 times)

Wildboy

Need help finding an Osage tree for my first bow...
« on: March 24, 2015, 12:07:48 pm »
Hello, my name is Michael and I'm preparing to build my first Osage self bow... I've been reading and studying for several years but I've really wanted to do this since I was a teenager. I spent most of the last 7 years overseas in the Middle East and just got back to the good 'ol U.S. of A last week so I need some help to get started. I would like to follow the path laid out by Dean Torges in Hunting the Osage Bow. So, I need to start with a tree... Does anyone out there know of someone that is willing and able to help me in my search?

I'm currently in Pensacola, Florida but expect to be traveling to Texas in a week or two and I could go anywhere in the Southeast or Midwest in search of that special tree like Dean talked about. My hope is to get a log and reduce it to splits on the first day and if possible reduce the splits to bow blanks on the 2nd or 3rd day of the operation... Anyone able to help a new comer along on this adventure?

All assistance will be much appreciated, you can email me directly at stickbow@ymail.com

Michael

Offline sleek

Re: Need help finding an Osage tree for my first bow...
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 12:32:52 pm »
Pay shipping and I have a stave for you. What branch?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 02:35:47 pm »
we got osage out the wha-zoo here in oklahoma. if you want to swing by I'll show you where you can find osage groove after osage groove around lake Eufala.

Offline thomas74p

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 03:03:54 pm »
I'm sure he'd be fine with any one of the branches, as long as it's thick enough to make a bow ;)
I'm just kidding.
having one shipped is the easiet route, bud. take it. you'll spend ALL day to find a good one. get back to FL and find some worm beat you to it and ate it all up inside.

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2015, 09:43:01 pm »
You know I live I  Dewey right Thomas? Only two hours north of you.

Wildboy

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:49:14 am »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response and generosity. I sent Sleek a PM with shipping info. It's so refreshing to find friendly people willing to help. Especially after being in another part of the world for so long. It's good to be home!

I still think it would be a great weekend project to get a small group of guys maybe 4-5, that want to follow Dean Torges methods, harvest 2-3 Osage logs, then reduce them to bow blanks. It might take two weekends to do it depending on how many guys were in on the project.... We could then divide the blanks among the group...

I'm willing to travel and spend a weekend or two on this project... Yea, Dean's book has really inspired me to do what I started thinking about all those years ago...

Thanks again Sleek and Thomas!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:55:47 am »
Patience it will all come in time
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Stringman

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:28:47 am »
First off, I'd like to say thanks! Your service to this great country does not go unnoticed by this group. Many of us on here have sacrificed out time and more for our collective freedom and there's always room to welcome another.

Secondly, I live in IL and the logs are already on the ground so just let me know when you can be here and we'll get to work!  ;D Seriously, if you don't get enough offers to supply ya, let me know and I'm sure we can get ya setup.

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:30:21 am »
I got contacts in kansas and another buddy who is willing to help. 60 acres with osage to cut. If you are serious then lets do it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the quick response and generosity. I sent Sleek a PM with shipping info. It's so refreshing to find friendly people willing to help. Especially after being in another part of the world for so long. It's good to be home!

I still think it would be a great weekend project to get a small group of guys maybe 4-5, that want to follow Dean Torges methods, harvest 2-3 Osage logs, then reduce them to bow blanks. It might take two weekends to do it depending on how many guys were in on the project.... We could then divide the blanks among the group...

I'm willing to travel and spend a weekend or two on this project... Yea, Dean's book has really inspired me to do what I started thinking about all those years ago...

Thanks again Sleek and Thomas!

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 11:38:01 am »
You guys go get em. And sell one to the poor Florida boy haha. I must say I'm very happy I found this forum everyone on here is very generous and helpful. Not many places like this now a days it's good to see it.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 07:33:39 am »
If you have the time, I would recomend coming to the Tennessee Classic coming up in early May. Its the mecca of bow building. Its in Clarksville TN. you can look it up under the shoots and events page on this site.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 07:55:13 am »
Where are you from Michael ?
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Wildboy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 10:04:16 am »
Pappy, I'm originally from Pensacola, I'm just expecting to take a short trip to Texas soon.

Misslemaster, I would love to come to the Tennessee Classic, I'll start looking into it and making plans to be there.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 11:04:58 am »
If the classic isn't doable for you. You might try to get to mojam in July. Both are very similar events. The classic is a bit bigger though. Mojam is in Marshall, MO. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Wildboy

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 12:05:41 pm »
Current plan is to attend the Classic and maybe MOJAM in July as well, if something happens and I can't make the Classic, then MOJAM is definitely the backup plan.

Sleek, when would you and your buddy be interested in cutting some of those Kansas trees? I'm serious about it. I don't think I'll be able to stop at just one bow, so I'll need a supply of wood for other bows and we can all stock up on some fresh Osage.