Author Topic: Camping with PA Elk  (Read 3001 times)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
Camping with PA Elk
« on: March 29, 2015, 11:33:51 pm »
I only can make it to CO to chase elk for a week every year or two.  Luckily we have a growing elk herd here in PA.  I decided to head to Elk county PA once a year for a backpacking and camping trip.  I headed a few miles back into elk territory and set up camp for the night.  It ended up being one of the most amazing nights of my life.  I probably saw 20 elk and called in a few bulls (even with my bad calling).  In the morning I heard what I thought was a group of horses going by at first light and I unzipped my tent to see 4 cow elk literally right outside my tent eating.  I don't know who was more surprised.  ;)  There was a big bull with a heard of cows about 150 yards from me and he was bugling and running other bulls off all night.  I was a little worried about getting trampled.  It was an amazing trip and I plan on repeating it every year.  Below is a little footage of what I saw; but it's something you really need to experience to fully appreciate.  They are amazing animals!  I can't wait to get back to CO this year!!

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqvSC_fW9iE
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Camping with PA Elk
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:14:45 am »
That is what its all about Rob. I love strapping my pack on and getting lost for a few days. Great trip man.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 10:17:39 am »
I also go to Colorado for elk hunt, but we have spent some time in Kentucky camping and calling elk. One weekend a few years back was when the shooting stars were at an all time high. We could hear the elk bugling all night and see shooting stars every few minutes. It was an amazing weekend. Something to always remember.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:30:33 pm »
Great footage, that'll get a guy fired up for fall. Now I'm really wishing I could get out west this year and chase some elk again.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.