Author Topic: 32 Guage Shotgun Barrel Rust Removal  (Read 9148 times)

Offline RidgeRunner

Re: 32 Guage Shotgun Barrel Rust Removal
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 09:03:31 am »
Thanks for the replies.

Just for the record the outside of this gun is very rusty as well.
There is no Bluing to strip off the outside.  It is all rust.
I can clean the outside.  A sand blaster might be required.

Going to find some Birchwood Casey. :D

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2015, 09:53:34 am »
How old is this gun? Cartridge or M/L ? I guess 32 ga would be about a .410.

If it has no collector value, you can draw file the metal back to bare metal, sand it and cold blue it.

I build M/Ls and rust brown some barrels, cold blue others, it is really easy to do. A rust browned barrel with a few pits looks takes on a nice antique look, the best part is it will never rust again as the finish is hard as a rock.

Here is a rust browned lock, done with Laurel Mountain Forge browning solution.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 10:10:40 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2015, 05:18:24 pm »
Eric:
The gun is a cartridge gun.
Single Shot, Breech Barrel.
Just like a "Normal" single shot shotgun.
The bore is .526".  A 410 is .410" of coarse.

Explain Draw File please.

I cant say how old it is.....  Until the rust is removed from the out side the markings will not be legible.

That Brown Rust finish idea ran through my mine earlier today.....  May just try that.
This plan is to spend quite a bit of time cleaning the rust out and off of it this weekend.

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline HickoryBill

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2015, 09:15:37 pm »
Well another option if ya really wanna shoot the gun is too have a boreliner installed..if the inside barrel is .526 that's slightly bigger than 20 gauge..you may be able to have a 28 Gauge liner/tube sweated in the barrel..all depends on how much money ya wanna invest in it...

"He who hesitates usually misses"
"All you really need to make a bow and arrow are some sticks and a deer carcass"
Bill Stockdill
Clarion County Pennsylvania

Offline Josh B

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 12:13:19 am »
Caveman-I would remove the wood to keep it from soaking up oil and then wipe the barrel down with a heavy coat of breakfree/clp gun oil and keep it wetted down with it for a couple weeks. The clp will breakdown the rust without harming the blueing.  Then use a firm bristled toothbrush to remove the loosened rust and repeat the process until its cleaned up.  It can take a while to get it all, but it's worth the wait.  You don't want to get impatient and use a metal bristled brush unless you want to remove the blueing as well.
Hickorybill-20 guage bore is .615.  A  .410 sleeve would be the only shotgun bore smaller than a 32 guage.  I don't know who makes a liner like that though.  You would almost have to have a machinist custom make it.  While your at it, the machinist will also have to bore the barrel out to accept the sleeve and make a custom extractor/ejector for it.  You'd have to want to shoot it pretty bad to do all that.  Josh

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 12:21:29 am »
.410 was a wrong guess for sure.

Draw filing is holding your file almost sideways  and pulling it toward you. You can go lightly and not take off much metal.

It is probably a 28 ga with a choke of some kind that drops the diameter. Here is a ga guide in inches.

12 .729"
13 .700"
14 .693"
15 .677"
16 .662"
17 .650"
18 .637"
19 .626"
20 .615"
21 .605"
22 .596"
23 .587"
24 .579"
25 .571"
26 .563"
27 .556"
28 .550"
29 .543"
30 .537"
31 .531"
32 .526"
.410 .410"

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 10:11:43 am »
More on draw filing;

You hold your fine cut file at 10:00 and 4:00 while you pull it toward you watching that you just take off a tiny bit at a time. You have to chalk the file surface with any kind of kids chalk to keep filings from building up in the file teeth and scratching your work area.

You can make a really nice looking barrel with just draw filing but I follow up with 220 grit paper wrapped around the file to get things just right for browning or bluing. With a round barrel I hand sand with the paper wrapped around the barrel to get my finish right.

Here is a draw filed flat and tang on a barrel, the side flats haven't been draw filed and are still rough.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 08:55:05 pm »
Just came back from Dad's house.
The more I look the worse this gun looks.

However, I found these markings on the butt plate.
MARCA KES  ( I think ) The lettering is in bad shape.
There is a bird on the butt plate.

There is a bird on the heel of the barrel.  I looks like a partrage.

Any ideas as to what it might be???

David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 11:06:42 pm »
Caveman-I would remove the wood to keep it from soaking up oil and then wipe the barrel down with a heavy coat of breakfree/clp gun oil and keep it wetted down with it for a couple weeks. The clp will breakdown the rust without harming the blueing.  Then use a firm bristled toothbrush to remove the loosened rust and repeat the process until its cleaned up.  It can take a while to get it all, but it's worth the wait.  You don't want to get impatient and use a metal bristled brush unless you want to remove the blueing as well.
Hickorybill-20 guage bore is .615.  A  .410 sleeve would be the only shotgun bore smaller than a 32 guage.  I don't know who makes a liner like that though.  You would almost have to have a machinist custom make it.  While your at it, the machinist will also have to bore the barrel out to accept the sleeve and make a custom extractor/ejector for it.  You'd have to want to shoot it pretty bad to do all that.  Josh

Thank You

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2015, 09:40:43 am »
Got any pictures David?

After reading this post I thought of an old beater 22 semi auto I picked up after my Brother-in-law died. He never cleaned anything and the gun was too gummed up to work. I blasted the whole action with a special cleaner from Gander Mountain, the dang thing started working and throwing out shells. Encouraged, I put an old Weaver K-4 scope on it and found out it was a tack driver.

Yesterday I stripped the stock, ash of all things, stained it with some minwax stain I found in the cabinet and will start the refinish process today.

I have some really good cold blue (oxphoblue) and will touch up the metal parts to turn this old beater sows ear into a nice gun.

JacksonCash

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2015, 02:32:45 pm »
Marca may be spanish or portugese for "brand". But KES doesn't get me any results as a gun manufacturer.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2015, 08:50:08 am »
Well, The weekend turned out terrible.
A good friend of mine died Friday afternoon from a heartattack.  He was 48.
Did spend a bit of time with the little 32 as the sun went down Saturday afternoon.

Cut up a green brillo pad and ran it through the barrel about a 100 times.
Rust, Rust and more rust.  The barrel looks some what better but is still the worst looking shotgun barrel I have ever seen.

If I can remember how I will try and post a few photos of it.

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline stickbender

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2015, 08:58:21 pm »
     Ridge runner, it could be Spanish, or Brazilian.  I would go with Spanish, but could be on both counts.  The odd gauge leads me to think European.  I am just guessing here. ;)

Wayne
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 09:01:35 pm by stickbender »