Author Topic: Made a new friend  (Read 1688 times)

Offline jeffp51

Made a new friend
« on: March 27, 2015, 04:16:26 pm »
A few months ago, Jojo, Tyke, and I were able to score some elm from a lot where the trees were cleared to make space for a new housing development.  Since then, I have watched the remaining logs sit beside the road, calling my name.  So this week I got up the courage to ask (beg) for another log.  The wife of the house met me at the door and was very hesitant at my request (seems there have been several inquiries--especially for the lumber from the torn down barn behind the house),  but then I offered to trade a finished bow for the raw wood.  She brightened up noticeably at that and told me to come back when I could speak with her husband.

The husband also started out suspicious, but as we continued talking, it turned out that A) he is an avid bow hunter (recurve-not wheelie). B) that we both served in the same National Guard Unit, although at different times, C) he loves woodworking and hand-crafted items, and D) he knows my uncle, whom he met on a Mormon mission in Hong Kong more than 40 years ago, and who also served in the Guard with him for many years. Small world.

He was very impressed and curious when I started showing him my archery tackle, including home depot and phragmites arrows, tooled quiver and knapped glass points, and especially the bows I showed him.  As a result, we will be cutting a prime tree in his back lot, and I probably have a supply of sinew and turkey feathers available.  I may also end up helping him make his own bow instead of building one for him. 

All in all a very pleasant surprise and a welcome opportunity to make a new friend that has been living around the corner from me for years.  I am interested to see where it goes.

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Made a new friend
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 05:08:56 pm »
Nice work spreading the addiction  ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 06:37:34 pm »
Each one teach one. And eventually, we can reach everyone!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 11:56:28 am »
Very awesome. I do like it when the small world is still around.