Author Topic: target vs hunting bow?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline bushboy

target vs hunting bow?
« on: March 28, 2015, 09:53:30 am »
I read people referring to a build as a target or hunting bow sometimes and I really wonder if people have this in mind when building?i think if I was going after a target only style I may make it longer and wider and less stressed for durabilty,where as a hunter would be highly stress where as it won't be shot nearly as much and remain in a fresher state for better speed.thoughts?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: target vs hunting bow?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 10:00:48 am »
I agree with your thoughts.  I also think of a target bow being a lighter draw weight to work on accuracy of form as well as arrow placement.  I really like shooting lighter weight bows :)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 10:02:18 am »
They are one and the same for me. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 10:56:48 am »
   Today most primitive bowyers usually thinkof them as one and the same. 2 years ago I was asked to make a couple of "target bows" for a husband and wife. I really had to give it some thought.

I ended up building boo backed ipe bows about 71" long, just a tad of relex maybe an inch or so and I went with a bit more of a outer limb bend to accomadate lighter arrows. Center shot, high wrist grips. I kind of modeled them after bows I have seen in old archery magaizines.

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 11:23:08 am »
Yes I take it into consideration, and plan/build with intents before I even touch the wood.

Offline kid bow

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 01:50:02 pm »
I agree. These two bows are on in the same for me
i need nothing but my old bow and arrows.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 02:56:59 pm »
Yes I take it into consideration, and plan/build with intents before I even touch the wood.

I think if you flip through Chris' bows you'll see some pretty clear examples of both. I remember some of his target bows really standing out in design.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 03:05:43 pm »
I build all my bows to be hunting bows but I use them for target shooting when it comes around.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 03:13:46 pm »
if you target shoot all year with a bow,, it is probably your best bet for your hunting bow if the weight is legal,,,, lots of variables ,,,I used to shoot about 50# for indoor and 3d,, so I could hunt with that very easy,, if I wanted to shoot a heavier bow,, I would,, but didnt use them so much for competing ,,mostly hunting and some 3d,, no right or wrong,, just what suites your needs,, or style,, I think it is good practice to work on your form with a lighter bow,,, you can just shoot more arrows and practice more,, but heavier bows are fun to shoot too,, :)  I think when people refer to a target bow,, it might be lighter in weight than they would hunt with,, or shoot lighter arrows than they would hunt with,,

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 05:22:37 pm »
  So all you all say that all it is,is weight that makes a target bow.

Theres a little design involed I think. You surely would'nt call a  35# 58" IRQIOUS long bow a target bow.

I conceder bows I build as hunting bows no matter the weight.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:28:50 pm »
I like build my  hunting bows to be as accurate as a target bow,, :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 07:48:54 pm »
I build all my bows to be hunting bows but I use them for target shooting when it comes around.

I like how you think Brennan.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:16:14 pm »
They are  both target bows used for a different arena.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 09:25:52 pm »
Instinctive shooting is taxing enough on its own. Add two or 3 different bows into the mix and it really works on your head...and your shooting.
 There are bow designs that work well for target shooting. I would assume a longer bow with a heavier mid section would be a good start. There are also bows that lends themselves to hunting. Both bows have the same task, propelling an arrow, and either bow can do either task. So, I guess it depends on what you like, which form you prefer and which works best for you in its particular task.
 Many of us build and shoot lots of bows. It comes with the territory. The only way to know if a bow shoots well is to shoot it, so we shoot bows of many different styles and draw weights. How do we maintain consistency?(hypothetically) I have learned to separate shooting from hunting. I think once the formalities of shooting a bow become engrained this separation comes easily.
 I generally have one and probably two bows that shoot well and that I can shoot consistently well, and with the same hunting arrows. These become my hunting bows, one primary he other secondary. With hunting season nearing I will limit my hunting practice to these bows with the primary bow being the one I shoot most. A week or so before my first hunt I will shoot only my hunting bow, one shot a day, in the early morning or in the evening; when most of my hunting time comes into play.
  I still shoot bows while I'm building them but I don't allow my bow building shooting and my hunting shooting to interfere with each other. Two different disciplines. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC