Author Topic: been asked to speak on bow making  (Read 8003 times)

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
Re: been asked to speak on bow making
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 11:44:19 pm »
I have found in the many talks I have done the best way to burn time with content is to get them involved. Show them items to pass around invite questions, bring examples of what not to do, what to do, a small piece of wood for each that they can shave to one ring with a knife while they are listening, Etc. get them doing something, Have an outline to keep it on topic and it will move of its own free will, they will enjoy it and so will you.

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 12:07:07 am »
Hmmmmm bring a small section of drop to have them chase a ring while I talk. I like that idea! Brilliant!  Could also have a bundle of tomato stakes under each seat to show them how to make a quick low poundage bundle bow. I made one using zip ties to hold it. Worked well... 50#@25 as I recall.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 01:28:17 pm »
Try not to introduce too much technical info.  It will confuse and overwhelm them and they won't be able to process the information
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 03:05:01 pm »
Try not to introduce too much technical info.  It will confuse and overwhelm them and they won't be able to process the information
+1  No doubt that the terminology that we use could confuse a lay person.  You have to assume that lots of these folks won't know belly from back.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 03:42:47 pm »
+1  No doubt that the terminology that we use could confuse a lay person.  You have to assume that lots of these folks won't know belly from back.

I didnt know when I started.  Took me hours to figure it out. Once I did though I was able to make a bow. Good points above.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 09:14:32 pm »
I think I'd keep it simple. Ask them who had experience making bows, what wood would you choose if you wanted to make one, and number one in a survival situation how or what did you bring to the game for a string? That is the one thing no one thinks about.

I'd do all of this while taking Bubby's advice, whittling a bow from a sapling with a hatchet or a K-Bar. A talk and question, answer discussion is an easy way to fill in some time.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 09:31:27 pm »
I always reckoned on boot laces for low power bow if nothing else. After one animal kill rawhide upgrade.

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 10:05:07 pm »
They are survivalist i would imagine paracord will always be around for strings , or bring a rawhide squirrel hide and make a string from that
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Halcon rojo

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 01:46:26 am »
Also talk about what's available locally. What trees are a good source of material? What plants make strong cordage. Those are some of the things I would want to know from a survival perspective.  Any materials to avoid. Energy consumption is always a survival concern. Don't wast your energy on a bow that won't work.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 03:50:15 am »
Some great advice so far.
I'd like to add a couple of general points.
Speak slow! It's tempting to rush.
Don't be afraid of a bit of silence, take time to look up and around at the audience so everyone thinks you are speaking to them individually.
Avoid looking down and talking to the bow you have in your hand.
Speak LOUD and CLEAR...
I think brief notes of key points you want to cover will help to make sure you cover it all whilst allowing you to go with the flow and be natural.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 07:50:40 pm »
Sounds like a good time sleek.  I've been interested lately in why certain styles and materials seem to pervade certain areas.  Vernacular styles such as the Eastern Woodlands D bow used in open forest versus the short sinew backed paddle bow for brushy terrain, etc.  You'll do fine, you've got some great suggestions and plenty of knowhow.  Have fun
Sam

Offline StevenT

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2015, 10:53:41 am »
Del, Your tips sound like someone that has some sort of instructor training.  Did you?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2015, 01:41:30 pm »
Del, Your tips sound like someone that has some sort of instructor training.  Did you?
Many many years ago, I went on an "Effective Presentation" course...
Seein' as how I like the sound of my own voice I jumped at it. Most interesting bit was watching a software guy who was a real nice guy but painfully shy. He didn't enjoy it, but you could see how it helped him along.
It showed some of the classic pitfalls, like turning your back to the audience to point at a screen. It was back in the days of overhead projectors... the trick was to have a little pointer and point on the projector itself not turn and point at the wall.
Powerpoint has made a great contribution to world boredom ::)... you'll get some guy blethering on about whats on the screen with his back to you, when you have all read it 5 minutes ago. >:(
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline sleek

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2015, 04:09:29 pm »
All points above duly noted.