Author Topic: Weight Scale for Tillering Tree Rig  (Read 4773 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Weight Scale for Tillering Tree Rig
« on: April 03, 2015, 04:13:33 am »
Finally got around to clearing sufficient wall area in garage to setup a tillering tree.  Tillering stick is gettin' hard on these advanced-age fingers.

Any features, other than accurate weighing & capacity of 70+ lb, of a scale recommended?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Weight Scale for Tillering Tree Rig
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 04:25:15 am »
A pulley down below so you can step back and pull the rope to see it flexing.
Another pulley one you can hang off the scale if you want to get 2:1 advantage.
(the rope is tied down near the lower pulley, goes up and over the one attached to the scale, down again, round the bottom opulley and you heave on the free end.)
It can be quite handy even with lighter bows as you can pull with one hand while looking up close, say peering along the limbs to see where it's working.
For very heavy bows a winch is handy too.
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 04:30:47 am »
Del . . . I thought you might be up & at it at this hour.   :)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Poggins

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 09:00:31 am »
Don't go cheap on the scales , I bought a scale at a farm store used to weigh feed , they looked decent and cost about $30 and went to 70# , more than I needed weight wise at the time .
I was working on a bow that I needed to get the weight to 55# , the second time I used the scales on the tillering tree the scale have it up at 52# , my heart sank when the bow flew off the tree , a good inspection and a few nervous pulls on the string made me feel better no damage to the bow but the scales were scattered everywhere .
No more cheap scales for me and they will go to 100# minimum to be sure they hold together .

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 09:45:47 am »
I use a Hanson Hand Held Scale. As the name suggests I attach it to the rope, hold it in my nad and weight registers so I can check it. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline KS51

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:54:26 pm »
There are lots of ways to do it but this is my rig.  A modified hand bow scale with a pulley on the bottom.  A pulley mounted at the bottom of a long board. A piece of alum  1/4 x 2 x 4 angle at the top.  The whole rig gets lagged to a wall stud ( 1 lag through the angle, one above and below the pulley, and one about a foot up from the pulley).  The chalk boards on either side allow me to use a beam compass to provide curviture guides.

I do wrap the alum angle in leather.

Ken

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 03:27:38 am »
Nice set up KS.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 08:59:23 am »
KS ... clean, sleek, compact setup.  Remember where ya got the scale?

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 10:37:59 am »
I use a double pulley setup with a spring scale for weighing deer, large fish etc. Not sure if its super accurate but it gets me in the ball park at least. Been thinking about going digital.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God