Author Topic: BL Mohegan (No. 60) and Algonkin (No.61)  (Read 13670 times)

Offline bubby

Re: BL Mohegan (No. 60) and Algonkin (No.61)
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2015, 05:16:47 pm »
My favorite of the two is the Mohegan, and it looks like it flat belongs in your friends hands
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JonW

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2015, 11:41:12 pm »
Way cool Simon.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2015, 02:35:05 am »
Great job on those two bows Simon.  Did you hear treat (temper) either of them.  Always look forward to seeing what you're working on.

No heat treating on these bows, Matt. Just an awful lot of side corrections, especially on the Algonkin. I assume because there is nearly no side taper, that thing always wanted to bend sideway with one of the tips. But I could manage it after a lot of work with the heatgun.

My favorite of the two is the Mohegan, and it looks like it flat belongs in your friends hands

My fav too, Bub. And yes I think he is quite pleased.  :)

Thank you all for comments!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2015, 10:29:11 am »
Excellent replicas Simon.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2015, 12:44:12 pm »
Both are super cool, but really like the first one.  I hope when I'm your buddy's age I'm half as cool as he appears.  My hat is off to you both.
1’—>1’

gutpile

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2015, 02:58:50 pm »
bows came out sweet... I bet the Algonkin produces some noticeable hand shock with those huge tips and bendy handle....good job on the replicas...gut

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2015, 04:27:04 pm »
Sorry to hear about the health issues, but glad to see you are feeling better and back to making knock-out bows. I was just looking closely at both of those bows in the encyclopedia, while looking for some incised design inspiration. So cool to see your replicas of them in living color here. That beveled edge curvy Mohegan is a real eye catcher. I love seeing that full draw and unbraced profile, says a lot about that bow. Lucky guy to get that bow. Sorry to hear you chickened out on carving up the back of that Algonkin ;) I am always amazed to see the several bows in the encyclopedia that have the backs cut up with design work. I couldn't do it.

These are your 60th and 61st bows you have made? When did you start?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

blackhawk

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2015, 05:11:29 pm »
Turned out nice simon....man I need to make a BL bow...its been too long,n I like the wood

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 02:01:57 pm »
Those are sweet! I would never had dared to split this stave. Nice to see you were rewarded. When you cut wood from the belly side of a stave it often reflexes more. Splitting the belly off is the same thing.
I have repeatedly used BL sap with good results, those were young trees however. I guess if it dries soundly, there's no reason not to use it.
Don't shoot!

Offline simson

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2015, 02:27:25 pm »
Both are super cool, but really like the first one.  I hope when I'm your buddy's age I'm half as cool as he appears.  My hat is off to you both.

Yeah I also like the first one better. Marc was last weekend with his bow and lots of other stuff at an outdoor meeting, he travels with his tipi since I know him. he has lot of indian technic and skills as quillworking, carving, silver jewelry and many others. I'm glad he's a friend of mine.

bows came out sweet... I bet the Algonkin produces some noticeable hand shock with those huge tips and bendy handle....good job on the replicas...gut

No gut, I have expected the same. The tips are not thick - so it's light weight. I wanted to follow as near as possible to the original.

Sorry to hear about the health issues, but glad to see you are feeling better and back to making knock-out bows. I was just looking closely at both of those bows in the encyclopedia, while looking for some incised design inspiration. So cool to see your replicas of them in living color here. That beveled edge curvy Mohegan is a real eye catcher. I love seeing that full draw and unbraced profile, says a lot about that bow. Lucky guy to get that bow. Sorry to hear you chickened out on carving up the back of that Algonkin ;) I am always amazed to see the several bows in the encyclopedia that have the backs cut up with design work. I couldn't do it.

These are your 60th and 61st bows you have made? When did you start?

Carson, the Mohegan was tillered out with a recangular crossection near to f/d. Then I did the beveled edges and lost about 5 or 6 pounds, but I had enough to play with.
Yes I'm a coward - not bravely enoughto carve on a bow's back :P
And yes this is bow 60 and 61 posted here. I have done some hundreds meanwhile. And of course I started with No. 1  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Here is the first one if anyone want to look: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34732.0.html

Those are sweet! I would never had dared to split this stave. Nice to see you were rewarded. When you cut wood from the belly side of a stave it often reflexes more. Splitting the belly off is the same thing.
I have repeatedly used BL sap with good results, those were young trees however. I guess if it dries soundly, there's no reason not to use it.

Yeah same thoughts here. Btw. looking at the Algonkin pics again - no noticable set, comparing the fresh split with the unbraced pic. That sap is really good ...

Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2015, 08:33:29 pm »
I had to remark on your obvious cowardice after you popped that BL stave in two with a Chisel.  ;D
I remember that first bow of yours. One of those bows you just really want to shoot when you see the photos of it.  :)
I really enjoy seeing your work.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso