Author Topic: How do you pick the BOM?  (Read 43898 times)

Slivershooter

Re: How do you pick the BOM?
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2008, 07:43:30 pm »
The intent of my original post was to get input on the system I use, it is not perfect but can be easily changed and will change as I weigh everybody's thoughts. 

Frank, I definitely agree about picture quality, several times in the past a bow has lost my vote because of the pictures, I was unable to make a judgment/comparison with pictures they submitted. 

Dana, I also mentally strip the bow down while examining it.  Personally, I don't like bows that are painted, have drawings, or other things that detract from the beauty of the wood, but I try not to let that influence my vote.  I find these types of accessories to detract from the overall appearance of the bow; however, once in a while they do enhance the bows looks.  Often a few bows will have comparable tillers and they all appear to be solid bows.  I find that with bow building (as with most things in life), that those who spend the time to get the finish details correct also do the little details that we can't see in pictures.

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2008, 11:13:05 pm »
i must have missed something about taking pics.  sorry mine aren't up to snuff.  i make bows, sometimes i make a decent arrow and every now and then i get a knife to come out halfway servicable.    if anyone is looking for professional quality pics of my stuff i do apologize, i do the best i can.  if i could take a picture worth publishing i would be working in the playboy mansion and it would be of something curvy wieghing around 115 with measurements of 36-24-34.  sorry fellows if all this comes across too...abrasive.  those who know me well know i like to keep things simple and this is a site about PRIMITIVE archery.  the only pic that counts to me is the full draw pic.  the rest is window dressing.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Gordon

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2008, 01:46:59 am »
if i could take a picture worth publishing i would be working in the playboy mansion and it would be of something curvy wieghing around 115 with measurements of 36-24-34.

The heck with the pictures Mechslasher, I give you extra points for your sense of humor  ;D
Gordon

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2008, 10:08:36 pm »
 :D ;D :D ;D :D I've gotta agree Chris, Sometimes when I see the studio shots it kinda turns me off from that bow. I usually look for a good hunting bow ,not something all gussied up to go out on Saturday night. I like my girl up early in the morning.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2008, 11:53:30 pm »

... if only it was possible to size down cavewall paintings to 640X480!  8)

cheerio, frank
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 12:19:32 am by medicinewheel »
Frank from Germany...

Offline Badger

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2008, 02:17:34 am »
One thing I like about bow of the month is the fact that you set your own criteria. Just my own criteria, I tend to prefer the self bow categories, and I look harder at the mechanical aspects of the bow than I do the finishing touches most of the time. It does often seem that the bows with the best finishes are also extrely well made, in a case like this I might use a good finish for a tie breaker. I also give a lot of consideration to newbes comming around and try to judge the progress they have made and the care they put into what they are doing. If a newbe is close to a journeyman I will give the newbe the nod. Character bows catch my eye as long as the execution was as good as their looks.
     In the backed bow section I use a less primitive approach and vote for what appear to be the highest level performers as well as high level of finish. Steve

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2008, 11:01:14 am »
I don't have a system and my method vary. For selfbows I usually go with technical difficulty and tiller first followed by fit and finish. Eye candy doesn't impress me much but does play a role
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2008, 06:41:34 pm »
technical difficulty and tiller, i feel, should take precedent over finish or else like marc said it's "eye candy".  i hate to say but after reading all the voting criterias, i feel as if this primitive archery site is heading the way of the fiberglas mentality of other websites. where flashy finishes and contrasting woods capture everyone's attention.  don't get me wrong, i sometimes like eye candy but let us not lose track of what this website and magazine is about and that is PRIMITIVE ARCHERY.  what's next, people tillering limbs with belt sanders, cutting grips with a cnc machine, and spraying on finishes with a automotive paint sprayers?
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline DanaM

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2008, 07:00:25 pm »
Don't forget the lambskin orbital wax buffer Chris ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline adb

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2008, 09:38:07 pm »
Isn't democracy great!! You get to vote how you want... for whatever reason you choose. Nuf said.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2008, 10:02:56 pm »
  Tillering with belt sanders? :o, Uh Oh  :-X
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2008, 02:08:57 am »
... where flashy finishes and contrasting woods capture everyone's attention.  don't get me wrong, i sometimes like eye candy but.....

....only as long as it is on your bow, right???

Frank from Germany...

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2008, 08:58:59 am »
i'm surprised it took so long to call that, at least you put the tail end of the quote.  the bow i posted was a replica of a very old design which called for osage and walnut.  i've admired bear/grumley bows ever since i started shooting traditional eight or nine years ago and i thought it would be an interesting challenge to try and replicate the design.  i'm not leaving myself exempt by no means of admiring something flashy, just as i said earlier.  the point i was trying to make is that if someone posted a simple woodlands bow with a bear fat and beeswax finish it would be lucky to capture a vote.  i guess what i'm worried about is this site turning into something like the LW.  i love this site and i would hate to see it lose it's purpose.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2008, 10:03:07 am by Mechslasher »

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2008, 10:45:35 am »
i guess what i'm worried about is this site turning into something like the LW.  i love this site and i would hate to see it lose it's purpose.
No worries, some of us will continue to make them without Christmas wrap.  I don't have anything against people decorating their bows. I for one build them for myself with no regard for the contest.  If I feel like decorating I will, If I want a plain Jane bow, that is what it will be. I just hope some people don't get so worried about winning the BOM contest that they quit building for the right reasons, because we love wood bows.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Gordon

« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2008, 11:07:10 am »
the point i was trying to make is that if someone posted a simple woodlands bow with a bear fat and beeswax finish it would be lucky to capture a vote.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,894.0.html
Gordon