Author Topic: Feathers for a stave?  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Feathers for a stave?
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:01:45 am »
I wanna build my first self bow, I have lots of turkey feathers and even more coming everyday of turkey season. I can grind em, strip em, even chop em to 5" shield LW and 4" parabolic RW. Does anyone here think turkey feathers could be traded for a beginners first stave or do I need to get better with my flint knapping and primitive arrow building? I've built laminated recurves and longbows and regular backed board bows. I'm ready to chase some rings.

Dylan
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Eric Garza

Re: Feathers for a stave?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 07:13:50 am »
I can't speak for everyone, but if the feathers were of good quality and the quantity was high enough I'd be willing to trade a stave for some. What sort of stave are you looking for? I have a pair of seasoned hickory staves that I might be willing to part with, and another seasoned hickory bow blank.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:46 pm »
I have 4 turkeys worth now, getting 1 or 2 more tomorrow. Some feathers are over 15" and have great color. My files are too large to upload a picture.

No blanks, just a nice seasoned stave. Any kind of wood will do, I just wanna make a selfbow but don't wanna wait for the stave to dry. Not that I'm impatient, it's just I'm in the Army and got a bit of traveling around coming up.

How many primary wings would it take for a stave do you think? I have secondaries too.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 04:00:21 pm »
Good question. Since the stave will be far more expensive to ship, let's say 100 primary wing feathers. These need to be good quality though, I don't want to send out a nice seasoned hickory stave in return for a bunch of throwaway feathers.

Where are you located at now?

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:15:31 pm »
I have trade three dozen ground turkey feathers for a Hackberry stave. This was a fave to fave trade so shipping g wasn't am issue. I feel I got the better end of the trade as the stave was quite nice. Hope that helps good luck on your trade
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 04:50:58 pm »
I would also do 100 primary right wings for a stave. I have all sorts

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:29:17 am »
Well I'm leaving for a month and I have another couple guys collecting feathers for me while I'm gone so I'll see what I have after that. I'll also be getting snake skins. Mostly rattlers but a few cool water snakes too.