Author Topic: Bamboo backed Ipe (pics)  (Read 9723 times)

Offline markinengland

Re: Bamboo backed Ipe (pics)
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2008, 07:52:56 pm »
Very slender, nice curves.
No rudeness intended.
Mark in England

Offline adb

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2008, 07:56:12 pm »
LOL!!! No offense taken, Mark!! Yes, they both have nice curves!! I still think my wife is the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, and I still remind her on occasion. I got a thing about those blonds/red heads... they just seem to stand out! Down side? They usually have a temperament to match!
Hey, Medicinewheel, check out the 5th pic... the bow took 1" of set. I started with a straight stave... no reflex.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:59:30 pm by adb3112 »

Offline david w.

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2008, 08:04:45 pm »
very nice bows. I really like boo-ipe they make some FAST bows
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline adb

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 08:08:40 pm »
I agree. I almost like it as much as osage. Almost. It really lends well to narrow profiles, and takes little set. It is a bit hard to work... tools have to be really sharp, or you get chatter. The dust also bothers me. Makes my skin itch, and makes me sick to my stomach, so I wear a respirator, especially when sanding.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 08:15:34 pm »
That is a downfall of ipe. My bandsaw is in the house and that stuff will stink up a house fast. I also wear a respirator and put a fan in my shop window. I also wear long sleeves  and  throw my clothes right in the wash after cutting. Sanding has to be done out doors.  Its worth it but I wouldnt want to work with it every day.            Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 10:30:20 pm »
Adb3112... ;D It's hard not to love seeing this. Very nice work Adb, and you did a good tillering job  considering the arc its drawing and just unbraced set it takes..

Thats Ipe for ya..the end result of  a little stinky sawdust  is a  very fast, and sweet shooting bow.

Rich-after 50 bows you won't even notice it anymore :D

Offline adb

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 11:13:37 pm »
I totally agree with WIBOWYER. Ipe dust is nasty stuff. I just can't see it being good for you. To solve part of that problem, I purchased a portable dust filtration system. I have it mounted upside down under my main workbench. Keeps it out of the way. It has 2 speeds, and on high, it moves a LOT of air. Totally recircs the air in my shop every 2 minutes. Filters down to 5 microns particle size. Cost about $100. Doesn't totally solve the problem, but it helps a bunch.
It has a two part filter... a sponge large particle filter on the end, and a cone shaped paper filter inside, both of which can be replaced and cleaned. If I turn this thing on full blast, and wear my respirator, ipe is tolerable.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 11:17:26 pm by adb3112 »