Author Topic: Comparison between different finishes...  (Read 4623 times)

Offline Cloudfeather

Comparison between different finishes...
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:47:45 am »
 I've read a couple threads here about different finishes for bows: poly, tru-oil, shelac, waxes, etc. I was wondering if we could get some pictures going to compare the varying looks you get from different finishes. I am currently using spray on poly and buffing over it with beeswax. Was thinking of trying my next self bow with a beeswax sealant made from beeswax, turpentine and boiled linseed oil.

I think it would be nice to have some side by side comparisons on one thread. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Comparison between different finishes...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 11:54:08 am »
Your best bet to get the best results for comparison would be to get a piece of scrap wood (whatever wood you prefer), clean it up and then apply each of the finishes you are considering.  Otherwise you are comparing apples and carrots.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 12:16:06 pm »
This would be a great experiment though

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2015, 12:30:30 pm »
I really like the look I get from poly and beeswax, and it's waterproof. I'd kind of like to stick with something more natural though. So many options, so little time to experiment. lol

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:35:16 pm »
Define "natural".

The original formulas of lacquer and shellac were made from crushed beetle shells and distilled plant oils.

Sometime mixing two natural substances yields a product not found in nature. Are those two combined natural substances no longer natural? I always refer to something an old Druid witch told me once, "If the ancestors had superglue, epoxy, and spiderwire, they would have used it." If you're making an historically accurate reproduction, I understand choosing traditional methods. On the other hand, if functionality is your goal, use the most effective materials available.

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Drewster

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2015, 01:58:54 pm »
Cloudfeather, I don't think many of us on this site, myself included, have the skills or camera equipment that could accurately depict the subtle differences in various finishes......not well enough to be helpful to you anyway.  I think Falcon has a good idea.  You should take one board and try numerous finishes on it to see what you really prefer and what techniques work well for you.

Dean Torges, in his book "Hunting the Osage Bow", has directions for doing a paraffin finish.  Quite waterproof and easily repairable.  You might want to check that out.  I have used it on a hickory bendy handle bow and it's amazing how water beads up on the surface.

Good luck and have fun.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Cloudfeather

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2015, 02:09:42 pm »
By "natural" I mean something that doesn't come out of a spray can from Home Depot. I really like the idea of the finish smelling of beeswax. Kind of why I was leaning that way. I saw Carson post a pic on FB of melting some earth pigments into beeswax, I guess it couldn't hurt to inquire about it.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2015, 04:10:21 pm »
There's also an old furniture finishing technique where you alternate rubbing with pumice of decreasing grit and some type of wood oil. I would imagine it would be fairly water resistant as well.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2015, 04:21:37 pm »
There is an old finish, shellac and linseed oil, called French polish. It was considered one of the best finishes in the 1940s, 50s. Jay Massey used it on some of his bows, and he hunter wet Alaska.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2015, 07:39:10 pm »
Subscriber from the first issue and long time lurker :) and Pat B you are one of the best, but Jay came up with the "Massey Finish" for a reason.  As close to waterproof as can be.  Been using it ever since he told me about it.  Just wanted to throw in my 2@ worth.  And I want to thank you all for the entertainment!!

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2015, 10:52:48 pm »
Cloudfeather, you mentioned home depot, they handle a furniture finish Howard's beeswax, it is beeswax and citrus oil and is supposed to penetrate and seal the wood.

jimmi, are refering to the epoxy and acetone finish that Massey tried to market years ago.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 11:26:34 pm »
I use Massey finish(2ton epoxy thinned with acetone) to seal hemp cordage handle wraps.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 11:46:59 pm »
The french finish is what I was thinking about and referring to. I had a classmate that did quite a few church restorations while he was in Europe. He did a gun stock for my dad in exchange for some auto work. I've never seen a topcoat that thin shine so much. It looked like 10-12 coats of auto clear buffed to a high gloss.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2015, 12:16:19 am »
An old application recipe was once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year and once a year after that.

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2015, 12:48:37 am »
Don't know that Jay tried to market the finish that he discovered but do know that 15 to 20 coats of 2 ton epoxy mixed with acetone makes a tough easy to fix scars on bows finish.  Been using it for many years on bows and natural arrows.  To add to the discussion, been using Titebond 3 on hemp wrapped handles.  2 or 3 coats sanding in between makes a nice finish with water proof characteristics.  Massey finish over the entire bow with finished handle blends it all together.  Just what works for me.