Author Topic: Taiwanese High Mountain Dwarf Bamboo arrow shafts  (Read 6985 times)

Limbit

Re: Taiwanese High Mountain Dwarf Bamboo arrow shafts
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2015, 08:05:41 am »
This is interesting. I was hiking a mountain in Taroko National Park at 3,500 meters and this is what dwarf bamboo looks like at that altitude. It got as small as grass at the peak. Further down the mountain at about 2,000 meters, the bamboo was the right size for arrows. These two pics are at 3,500 meters.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2015, 12:32:12 pm »
and unfortunately many of them had small beetles in them and the guys didn't store them carefully!

If there are beetles in these I would be extremely careful about shipping them overseas. We don't need another green ash borer situation.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2015, 02:56:31 pm »
Where abouts do you live? Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Limbit

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2015, 10:06:05 pm »
Yeah, I know. I had the same thought when I saw them originally with some bug damage. I went through the batch very carefully so they should be bug free. Also, it is fairly obvious when they aren't because they leave a little trail of bamboo dust and small pin holes...those one's got tossed into my grape vine and passion fruit terrace. I might straighten the remainder of them. The heat should kill any others off if they are there, I am just cautious to cut the bamboo because it seems like everyone likes different lengths.

Limbit

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 04:19:08 am »
Okay, traded out completely this time. I'll have more next year and I'll probably be smoking them to ward off any wayward bugs.