Author Topic: snake needs a good home  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Tom Kurth

snake needs a good home
« on: May 16, 2015, 07:50:43 pm »
Had to kill a snake tonight, a distasteful task to kill without necessity or need, but in my wife's estimation it was a definite necessity. I am willing to pass it along to someone if you can tell me how to handle it. It is about 4 ft. long, black with copper diamond pattern and a cream to reddish belly; cream at neck, red at tail. I'm not capable of skinning. Can I perhaps shove the body into a freezer bag and pop it in the deep freeze? Only a quick response is going to keep me from disposing of it.

Best,
Tom
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri

Stringman

Re: snake needs a good home
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 07:59:12 pm »
Absolutely throw it in the freezer! Also post a pic here if you can.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 09:34:24 pm »
You can freeze the snake whole.  Skinning one out is very easy.  Just take a sharp knife or scissors and cut it down the belly from head to tail as far as you can.  Cut the skin all the way around the back of the head and then slowly peel the skin off of the body of the snake.  You can freeze the skin or spread it out on a board and tack it down with staples, small nails, thumb tacks, etc.  Then let it air dry for a day or two and you have a skin ready for the back of a bow. 

I've found a sharp pair of scissors to be the best thing to skin a snake with.  Good luck with it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 10:58:08 am »
Hey tom. I live in Missouri.  If your close maybe I can meet you somewhere for it?
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Tom Kurth

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:22:41 pm »
Dvshunter, PMed you.
Best,
Tom

Escape to Missouri