Author Topic: Looking for Phragmities shafts or Juncus (Rush)  (Read 3052 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Looking for Phragmities shafts or Juncus (Rush)
« on: May 13, 2015, 02:14:31 pm »
I am looking for a small number of Reed (phragmities) or Rush (Juncus spp) shaft material. PM me if you have any for trade. For trade, I have fir shafts, ocean spray and dogwood shoots, rawhide backing, mink oil, bear fat, and....??
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline YosemiteBen

Re: Looking for Phragmities shafts or Juncus (Rush)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 08:47:15 pm »
I picked a very few from Suisun marsh just to bring back with me. I saw lots in Utah (jojo), Wyoming, Nebraska - I just did not have any room in my very full car. Good luck in your search.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 02:47:18 am »
I can get all the Utah phrag you want, but it isn't ready to harvest until october.  It has to grow as long as possible here.

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:25:55 am »
I have a few but they are only about 23" long.

Thanks Jeff. I was wondering why they were all too soft. I'll wait till october.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 06:42:19 pm »
I was told as close as possible to first hard frost.  I made some arrow of light arrows and I have about half a dozen straightened shafts, but I haven't shot any yet. they are definitely lighter and more fragile than bamboo, but I think they will work.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 12:51:52 pm »
How many are you looking for?  I'm reasonably certain that i have some at home.  Josh

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:44:28 pm »
Gun Doc, thanks for the offer. I have got some phragmities coming thanks to Yosemite Ben. Unfortunately, I just talked to to the fellow who wants this arrow made for him and he has made up his mind that it needs to be Rush. I have not been able to fins any rush locally that is even close to strong enough to be an arrow shaft. I wonder if it is like reed and is stronger if harvested in the fall. 

Anybody have access to Rush?
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 07:27:10 pm »
I thought rush was just a generic name

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 11:46:16 am »
Rush? My understanding is that rush is a juncus species and I have never seen it get big enough for arrows. Tule, scirpus species gets tall enough but it is also really spongy. Switch cane, phragmites, willow, mock orange, spice bush, elderberry and mnay others I am sure but not rush....