Author Topic: Caddo Longbow  (Read 2422 times)

Offline Scallorn

Caddo Longbow
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:05:48 am »
I just got done reading a very interesting writeup on one of the Caddo longbows found around my area. Apparently the bow is osage of course, length is debatable but around 5 1\2 to 6 feet i beleive, tips slightly recurved, and bending through the handle. The odd thing is the cross section. Everything i've read says it's almost perfectly round all the way, tapering evenly from the center out to the tips. I didn't know osage could work witht that design. I have a few good 6 foot staves of osage and i pland on trying to build something like it. What do y'all think?

Offline Scallorn

Re: Caddo Longbow
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:07:57 am »
I'm planning on using one of my sapling staves to achive the roof cross section. I feel like the original was probably made from a sapling to minimize work

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 06:31:02 am »
It seems there are always exceptions to every notion. Osage is amazing wood, and all the circumstances to the bow's construction may not be 'knowable'--natural curves or heat treated, backed or unbacked, etc. Likely was built from a sapling. Keep us posted of your progress.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 04:29:45 pm »
Will do. I'm starting to realize the same thing about the "acceptable" designs for wood types.

Offline xin

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 05:57:01 pm »
Is this the bow found in a burial mound in NW Louisiana maybe near Natchitoches?  If not where?  I think a 6' round cross section would work and if made from a sapling there would be an immense saving in labor.  Do you  know the diameter at center and mid-limb?

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 10:45:25 pm »
Yes Xin, same bow. I believe it was rather narrow at the center, around 1 1/2 inches and tapered evenly on all planes from the center to the tips.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2017, 05:01:44 am »
It seems there are always exceptions to every notion. Osage is amazing wood, and all the circumstances to the bow's construction may not be 'knowable'--natural curves or heat treated, backed or unbacked, etc. Likely was built from a sapling. Keep us posted of your progress.
I've heard it said and have seen it happen with osage that it will take practically any design out there.Flat/round/long/short.In other words ALB and ELB designs.All because of it's balanced compression/tension/and elastic abilities.Yew is another one.Black locust and elm if tillered correctly too.A few other woods too shown on here.With the true test is it's abilities to take an ELB design.Most all woods will make an ALB design the way I understand it.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 04:57:51 pm »
well if it was 6 ft and only drawing 25 inches,, I think anything would hold up,, since you dont know draw length,, who knows, but if you made a lighter bow,, I am sure it would work at the longer draws,, sounds  very interesting, good luck with our project,, (-S

also something to consider,, the design may not be that effecient,, maybe thats why we dont see so many of that type design,, compared to others,, I could be totally wrong about that,, but a good test with a chrono will tell the tale, cause the flat bow designs,, are pretty effecient,, (-P  can handle a long draw and shoot hard for the draw weight,, :BB
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 05:01:32 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 10:22:20 pm »
After doing some more research, the length and cross section  put me in mind of the hadza bows in Africa. Perhaps the construction techniques were similar. Thoughts?

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 12:57:01 am »
Having made some round bows. Find a well fed tree with huge growth rings if using a ring porous wood. If the bow is narrow you can have a round cross section with a single ring on the back.

Offline Scallorn

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 10:09:11 am »
I have a fast growing sapling cut right now. Thick rings and about 2 inches thick of heartwood. By the time i chase a heart ring it should be pretty close to right dimensions