Author Topic: 2nd osage bow help  (Read 2043 times)

Offline Vgo750

2nd osage bow help
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:53:37 pm »
Hey guys, i have a few issues to ask advice on so please bear with me.  Stave is 61" long and is still 5/8"+ thick.
1) i have a handful of longitudinal (word?? Sp??) cracks in the belly.  I have a few in my first osage and they have not been a problem at all.  In general i think these dont pose much threat and i should just fill w superglue.  Some will probably come out as i continue to work the bow down anyways.  Agree?

2) i have a couple areas that look like they are rotten or decayed wood on the belly that seem arent cracks but do seem to be "dug out".  These might also come out as i work the thickness down.  Anything i should do with these?

3) one big knot that im not sure if i should dig out or leave be? It is about 5" from a tip

4) finally i have a spot where i dug into the back ring a bit.  I didnt punch through but i did gouge the ring pretty good.  This is right near a tip.

Offline Chief RID

Re: 2nd osage bow help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 12:48:49 pm »
Those are good questions. I can't wait to see what the experts say. I'll be watching. Might take a while some are in Tenn.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:03:27 pm »
Keep working and they will be all but gone, whats left you can fill with glue. The key to cracks is that they stay within the bows lines, well within. If that is the case they will rarely pose a future issue. They don't have to be filled, but I like to fill them so the finish is sealed and no water can find its way in.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 01:04:27 pm »
If that spot you have gouged doesn't go through to the next ring, take some 50 grit and make long 10-12" stroke over that area and blend it back in with the rest of the bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 09:41:30 am »
Thanks for the advice PD.  What do you think about that there knot?? Should i drill it out or leave it be??

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 09:45:54 am »
Id leave them be for now. None look to be rotted through and through.