Author Topic: bow tip prep  (Read 2316 times)

Offline Jay

bow tip prep
« on: May 16, 2015, 10:20:58 pm »
I would like to use some whitetail antler for my bow tips. How do you guys taper the bow tip and drill the tapered hole in the horn?

Thanks!!

Offline Drewster

Re: bow tip prep
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 11:59:29 pm »
I make my tip overlays about 1 3/4" long......3/4" below the string nock and 1" above.  Taper the tip area as shown in the image below.

I cut my tip overlays with my band saw and do some preliminary shaping with a disc sander.  You can certainly do it with a hand saw and rasp if needed.  Make sure the cut on your bow tip and the overlay are absolutely flat and mate up well.   Next you're ready to glue the overlay material on.  I usually use Titebond II or III.

Once the glue has cured well, you can start shaping the tip.  I use a drum sander, rasp and cabinet scraper.  The string nock is cut with a round file........small chain saw files work very well.  I start in the grove already established in the bow tip from the tillering process.  This process will take a little practice.....perhaps on some scrap wood.

My tips are usually about 3/8" to 7/16" wide at the string nock.  Hope this helps.  Good luck and have fun!
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 01:35:08 am »
If you are talking about ELB style horn nocks rather than overlays. I've got a good two part how to do it post on my blog.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/horn-nock-instructional-part-1.html
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/horn-nock-instructional-part2.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jay

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:15:32 am »
WOW!!!
Great stuff.

Thank you.
Jay

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 12:06:01 pm »
Good info! I'll remember this one for the ELB knocks! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!