Author Topic: Close Call  (Read 2274 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Close Call
« on: May 31, 2015, 07:02:16 pm »
Came back from Ottawa Thursday night.  We were about 20 minutes from home at around 9:30 pm doing 110 kph when I saw a large pair of legs coming out of the ditch some 50 yards ahead of me.  I jerked the steering wheel hard and saw a large Moose head go by no more than a foot from the windshield.  Sheer luck she hesitated and didn't continue out onto the Hwy.  Passenger vehicles and Moose accidents are usually terminal, for both.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Close Call
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 07:57:21 pm »
Makes you think just how quickly things happen and how a slight hesitation can change from good to bad.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Zuma

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 08:45:22 pm »
Scary. Glad all is well.
At first I was thinking you spritts yourself  by mistake
with the wife's perfume and stepped out into the drive way
where that big bull moose hangs out. >:D
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 04:56:22 am »
Glad you had some quick thinking Marc.That would be like hitting a cow in our part of the country.Bad. ;) :)

Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JEB

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 07:43:52 am »
Glad it worked out OK for you.  Few years ago a semi hit a moose in the U.P. of Michigan and wiped out both the moose and the truck.  Only positive side of that accident is the Conservation officer was a friend and he dropped off a tender loin and front shoulder.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 08:13:10 am »
What happens when a passenger vehicle, in my case a mini van, hits a Moose is they hit it's long legs and the body crashes through the windshield; not a good scenario.

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 11:17:12 am »
I saw a pic on line of a woman that hit a cow moose in her compact car. The cow's head was on the trunk and the rear of the moose was on the hood with the rest of it through the car. That woman was lucky that she only had a sprained wrist.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 06:30:33 pm »
Yes,ive read that moose are the largest cause of traffic fatalities in. Newfoundland.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 07:46:49 pm »
I was driving real late one night on my way up to Boundary waters National Park with my buddy through northern Minnesota. Two lane road weaving through the woods about 3 a.m. and I'm half asleep at the wheel. next thing I know my buddy yells moose and this moose jumps across the road and all I see is kneecaps through my windshield. I was driving a jacked up Bronco and that hood was a good four feet off the ground. he could not have been but 10 feet in front of the front of my car. if I would have hit him like Marc said he would have went straight through my windshield and guillotine both me and my buddy. that was my first close encounter with a moose and up to that point I had no clue how big they truly are. that will be the last time I drive in the middle of the night through the Northwoods and for sure the last time I drive half asleep

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 08:30:58 pm »
Marc, that story scared me plenty for you. None of it was a good thing except you making it out ok. Jerking a wheel often causes worse accidents but with a moose, man, real tough call. A deer I just keep in mind to lock breaks and duck. Rather a deer than a tree ya know? But moose, thats a whole nother animal.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 09:24:29 pm »
A friend of my wife was eviscerated when she hit a Moose years ago.  She survived but is now seriously disabled

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com