Author Topic: Ironwood (HHB) staves for trade / please PM if interested  (Read 3869 times)

Offline half eye

Ironwood (HHB) staves for trade / please PM if interested
« on: May 18, 2015, 09:00:37 pm »
Here are some photos of the ironwood. The first ones are how I split these guys. The rest are different sizes. Seems that they are from 2-2.5"  up to 4 to 5" across the flat edge. Can also kerf the bigger ones or kerf and split for you. They have been very carefully debarked with kitchen knives (see photo).
rich

Offline half eye

Re: Ironwood (HHB) staves for trade / please PM if interested
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:04 pm »
more pics

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 09:02:46 pm »
Wow, Rich, that is some pretty stuff!  What do you want in trade so that I can make a half eye inspired HHB bow from half eye's wood?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »
last ones

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 08:34:20 am »
Benn, HHB is Hop Hornbeam and cash is not acceptable here on the Trading Post.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 05:08:01 pm »
Apparently you also learned to jump in quickly on some fine wood.  Hop horn beam is one of the premium woods that is a natural choice for high stress designs.  It also can be heat treated close to finish tillering to improve it's abilities. 

Half eye will not do you wrong in the trade if you offer something good!  Just post pics of whatever you do with the stave!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 07:26:40 am »
So thats how you stay in such good shape for an old guy Rich, cutting and splitting wood. I'm heading over to my shop in a hour and I'll look through my goodies to see what I have to trade before I leave for work.
A HHB stave would be perfect for that eastern diamond snake skin you sent me, I'm still saving it for that perfect bow which I have yet to make. ;)    I'll call you at my lunch break.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 08:03:59 am »
Nice stash Rich.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 08:26:36 am »
  Folks, I just received my HHB from "half eye" and it is superb quality. I have some dead standing and green pieces...If your looking for HHB he is the man :o Thanks for going the extra mile for me Rich ;)
                                                                                                                                                   Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 10:43:37 am »
got a few more fellas.....