Author Topic: Welsh bow?  (Read 3983 times)

icedern

Welsh bow?
« on: February 04, 2008, 03:05:50 pm »
Greetings!
Hello all, new boyer here.  I recently been looking at making my own bows and was shown this site.  Great info all around!  Anyway, I like to go to ren faires and this year I am wanting to go with a little of my heritage and go as a Welsh Archer.  After much internet searching, I can't find much info on the Welsh bow.  Some sites state that the English long bow was designed after the Welsh Bow which was shorter.  They don't really state how much shorter though.  I was curious if anyone has any recommendations on where to research this bow?  I also plan on making a longbow to hunt with.  I have harvested many deer with my compound and I would love to harvest one with a bow made from wood off the property. 

Again, pleasure to meet you all and thanks for your help!

Ernie

Offline DanaM

Re: Welsh bow?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:26:49 pm »
Icedern Sorry to say I can't answer your question. But I can welcome you the site.
Welcome to the P.A. ;D Be patient I bet someone will be alomg that has a suggestion for you.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:37:11 pm »
Welcome to the site.  The only Welch/Welsh bow I have ever seen was about 48" and recurve.  The guy that made it makes museum replicas, but admitted there was some speculation involved since no authentic bows are in existence. The bow was modeled after a bow from the 1400s I believe.  Justin
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 07:15:14 pm by Justin Snyder »
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Loki

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 07:07:19 pm »
Anyway, I like to go to ren faires and this year I am wanting to go with a little of my heritage and go as a Welsh Archer.

The Bow's the Welsh used against the Norman's were of Wych Elm and very powerful WarBow's but there's a lot of conjecture about the weapon,was it the father to the English Bow? possibly......

However,Welsh Archer's served in most of England's great Victory's over the French,Crecy,Poiter's,Agincourt etc.. I'm not sure they served with the Northern Army's against the Scot's but i know Welsh Spearmen did,but that's going off topic  ;D.

Are your Ancestor's from south Wales or the North? if south they could of served with the English,if North,probably not,Henry V was Welsh!
Durham,England

icedern

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 09:49:51 am »
Thank you all for the welcome and the answers.

Loki, I'm not sure if they were north or south.  So many dang Jones' to tell!

Iechyd da

Offline Skeaterbait

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2008, 10:41:26 am »
From what I have read in Robert Hastings book "Longbow; A social and military history" the Welsh longbowmen were highly skilled and employable but the illustrations of their bows showed them to be very crude in appearance. They look as though someone cut a branch from a tree, knocked off the bigger parts of the offshoots and stuck a string on it.

SimonUK

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2008, 01:49:15 pm »
Yes Loki, the Welsh fought in Scotland at Falkirk alongside the English. In fact I think there were more Welsh than English archers.

Offline Loki

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2008, 04:06:09 pm »
Ahh,Thank's simon!
Durham,England