Author Topic: Spiders  (Read 6606 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Spiders
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2015, 03:19:37 am »
You boys have got all the cool critters... not fair  >:(
Great pics, we like spiders in our househole... mind they ain't as big as those.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2015, 02:00:46 pm »
Catch her bugs and trade them for spidersilk bowstring material!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2015, 11:11:13 pm »
If you want good spider silk you need a golden orb weaver. Wolf spiders don't build webs. They are predatory.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline stickbender

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2015, 02:47:11 am »

I hate those things!  Used to get a lot of them in Florida, during the summer.  Occasionally they would get in the house.  They didn't survive.  We just called them big ol brown roach spiders!  They are different than the wolf spiders in the yard.  You could hear them run across the jalousies, at night.  They would get under bed sheets, blankets, etc.  Stayed at an apartment for a while, and it had an old window shaker air conditioner, and they would come in under the unit.  Took the unit out, and replaced jalousies, and screen.  After killing about 6 or 7 of them.  Big nasty ones.  two under my bed spread.  And yes they will jump on you and bite you.  One jumped on my Dad, and bit him, and it made a big nasty sore on the bite area.  We had a dog food closet in the carport, when I was a kid, and they would get in there, to get the roaches.  Usually I would leave them alone in there, as they served a purpose, but when I went to grab a can of dog food, and one jumped on my hand, I was flinging my hand so fast, that I thought My feet rose up in the air. :o  It was flung off, before it could bite me, and it smashed against the wall.  My hand swelled up, and was sprained for a couple of days.  Trust me, I was doing some hand flinging!  Never had a problem with wolf spiders, just catch them in a cup, or jar, and toss them back in the yard, or shoo them out the door.  Those @#$%!! big ol brown roach spiders though, if they were in the house, they were dead!   :o RAID! :o  Don't like spiders.  Some I will leave alone, but others like those things, and black widows, brown recluse, will be dead on sight!  Not worth the problems of getting bit.  No point in increasing the odds of it happening.  Sorry, but I am not a fan of spiders, or poisonous snakes!  yes I will kill a poisonous snake on sight!  Seen dogs bit, and die, and almost die, and had a Friend in school, die from a rattle snake bite, in a small vacant lot in the town of Lake Worth, Fl.  I am not going to leave a poisonous snake or spider, to go its way.  Sorry to those of you who do, but I will not.  I have no problem with the non poisonous spiders, and snakes.  Except tarantulas!  I will leave them be in their habitat, but if they come into mine,:o R A I D ! :o That little spider in the back ground may be the male.  He better careful, he could be a snack later. :o
I hope I have not offended anyone, but that is me, had too many bad experience with the poisonous critters.  Don't like gators, crocodiles, sharks, barracudas,lion fish, stone fish, poison shellfish, etc.  Either! >:(

Wayne

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2015, 01:04:39 pm »
I don't mind the spiders but when I'm going into the woods early hate to hit those cob webs in the face. I keep thinking the spider on me somewhere.lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2015, 01:09:20 pm »
I don't mind the spiders but when I'm going into the woods early hate to hit those cob webs in the face. I keep thinking the spider on me somewhere.lol

You know, I didn't think I could break dance until I walked face first into that one spider web!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 09:09:35 pm »
Man, I'm with Wayne and don't care if I offend anyone when I stomp on it. I can't touch nothing in our shop at work without gloves because every piece of pipe is home to Black and Brown Widows. In the Spring turkey hunting, after you sit down you have to take ten minutes after day light to clean all of the Golden Orb Spiders and their webs off. And the Crab Spiders and the little fluorescent ones, don't know their names, don't care. We even have spiders that live in the water and under the water when you go fishing.

I can't keep up with all of them and all of the new ones that idiots keep introducing to this State, so, I squish them. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2015, 11:00:27 am »
lately anymore when I am hiking in the woods I have a walking stick with me, if there lots of spider webs its moving in front of me the whole time to knock them down before I get there. looks silly sometimes but I hate them webs in my face.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2015, 11:47:17 am »
I don't mind snakes, but I hate spiders. Even looking at the pics give me the creeps!

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2015, 07:44:50 pm »
Man, I'm with Wayne and don't care if I offend anyone when I stomp on it. I can't touch nothing in our shop at work without gloves because every piece of pipe is home to Black and Brown Widows. In the Spring turkey hunting, after you sit down you have to take ten minutes after day light to clean all of the Golden Orb Spiders and their webs off. And the Crab Spiders and the little fluorescent ones, don't know their names, don't care. We even have spiders that live in the water and under the water when you go fishing.

I can't keep up with all of them and all of the new ones that idiots keep introducing to this State, so, I squish them. ::)

That state of your has nothing but things that want to kill you, one way or another. I say spray everything, and let the gators sort them out.....then make gator boots! :laugh: :laugh:
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline coxral

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 12:48:01 am »
I'm a Tree Trimmer and once I was removing an old dead Maple and every time I knocked off a chunk of wood or bark a couple big ol spiders would head the down the tree. Glad they never headed up! There were several different spiders too!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2015, 09:06:44 am »
I have always heard the old wives tale about osage apples repelling spiders, my basement was covered up with spiders so I placed 5 or 6 fresh osage apples around in the basement. There are few spiders in my basement now even though the apples have long since dried out and turned dark.

Maybe the apple trick worked, who knows.........

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2015, 09:48:01 am »
I've heard that to Eric.  I've seen spiders sitting on osage fruit in the woods so I don't think its true.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left