Author Topic: Going to form a new annual archery shoot  (Read 10788 times)

Offline sleek

Going to form a new annual archery shoot
« on: May 28, 2015, 06:26:45 pm »
My buddy bought 45 acres of land in Nowata Oklahoma.  Half pasture half four wheeler trails through woods. We are prepping the land to try our hand at an annual ( hopefully ) archery event first weekend of September next year and every year after. Any money earned will go back into the land to improve the shoot for the next year.

There will be two 3D courses set up, one for the kids, one for kids with their folks ( closser target marker ) whick will be scorable for contest, a clout shoot, target on a zip line, chickens and maybe turkeys for sale ( he raises them ) at a reasonable price for good fresh campfire fare, bon fire at the end for all the bow arrow scraps and a years worth of brush pile, knapping pit, fishing pond about 10 min walk, swimmin lake 20 min drive, alcohol will be ok but we WILL end quickly any roudiness, primitive camping only but next year we do it we should have water from funds raised. Porta potting s of course will be there. There is room to park a few rvs. There are two gravel roads, one gated entry to park trailers to free up room for campsite areas. Also there is an old paint factory on property we are going to convert into a bow making shop.
Vendors welcome of course, probably going to need to know what your vending and if you need power. Eventually we will have power and water to most rv sites and a community showers/sinks. This is not flat land on the 3D shoot so it will be interesting,  though its nothing like Tennessee.  It is very beautiful in the woods though. Mostly oaks. Trails will
be marked well and weeds killed off to ward off any poison ivy/oak. Also drink stations along the way for the thirsty. We have four wheelers to get around the trails quick if anybody needs help.

September is last month for most states before archery season opens and this is a great last chance to really see what you can do with your bow before you go out to the woods and hone your target skills. Also last big archery event of the year before winter hits and locks us all in until spring MoJam.

Im posting this now to get a feel for possible interest,  its over a year away I know but we need to get a feel for things now for camp site lay out, parking, local regulations, approx number of porta potties ( thats important ya know ), etc...
or if any body is even interested at all. Also ideas for events and such would be great.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Josh B

Re: Going to form a new annual archery shoot
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 07:20:44 pm »
Sounds like a helluva good idea!  If you need weedkiller let me know.  No need for you to buy that.  I have an ex-brother-in-law that lives in Parsons KS that would love to have a shoot that close by.  Josh

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 08:05:45 pm »
Sounds like a helluva good idea!  If you need weedkiller let me know.  No need for you to buy that.  I have an ex-brother-in-law that lives in Parsons KS that would love to have a shoot that close by.  Josh

Well golly gundoc, I may just do that. But I sure would have expected it! Thanks to you both!

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 08:51:30 pm »
Good luck sleek I've been trying for a while to get a trad shoot going here but just keep spinning my wheels
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 09:12:35 pm »
Thanks bubby, mind if I email you about your shoot?

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 09:29:16 pm »
Go ahead, but you might get more info from someone that has succeeded  :laugh:
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2015, 09:32:34 pm »
Id like to know why you haven't?

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2015, 10:18:38 pm »
That will be awesome Kevin! I can't wait to throw in as much help as I can.

I wonder if the moderators would consider moving this to, primitive shoots and events?
Maybe it will get a few more views. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 01:00:28 am »
Is this the beginnings of the Oklahoma Classic?????
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 01:16:28 am »
I think you just named it jdub. And in honor of you we will give you first pick on campsite, always upwind of the johns, and next to the bbq pit!

Edit: 'course,  gadda make sure the twin oak boys dont mind the name first....

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 04:55:12 am »
It's a bit far for me to pop over and shoot ::)
Good luck with with undertaking, it sounds wonderful.
Just a thought... You may want to re-phrase this bit? >:D
"... though its nothing like Tennessee.  It is very beautiful...;)
Don't want to inflame the natives :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 05:00:40 am »
Good luck with it sleek ,just don't be discouraged if the turn out isn't huge the first year, The TN. Classic had 27 shooters the 1st year. you just have to try and put on the best event you can and folks will see that and spread the word, it will grow but will probably take some time.
You are on the right track putting the resources you make back into the event and trying to make it better, also be careful what you wish for, it can turn into a monster that consumes a lot of time so be prepared for that. Also our motto at TwinOaks is [This is for them not us and try and make sure everyone goes up the hill with a smile on their face] if you live by that it will grow. The this is for them is the hard part because you always want to get in on the fun also so you have to be the kind of person that catering to others and seeing them smile is the fun part for you. Like I said good luck and if I can help in any way just ask and I will try. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 08:07:18 am »
This sounds awesome!  I'm in. 

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2015, 08:48:41 am »
Nowata, Oklahoma

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2015, 10:35:01 am »
So, lebhuntfish had a good idea, to buy an industrial ice machine for the campers. Looking up info on them now to find out about brands/sizes, cost of repair etc...

Any other ideas like that would be greatly appreciated.