Author Topic: young pups  (Read 4773 times)

Offline bubby

young pups
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:03:48 am »
My bro in law found a couple yote pups in his irrigation pipe
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Josh B

Re: young pups
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:16:58 am »
Cute little booger!  They can be a bit fiesty if you try to catch one.  I found out the hard way. :o.  Josh

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 07:45:43 pm »
I saw one on the side of the road years ago. I stopped and tried to entice it with some bacon. It was really interested but I couldn't get any closer than ten feet or so. If I moved closer, it moved away. After about ten minutes I finally threw it the bacon. It grabbed it and was gone.

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:00:53 am »
Do you guys get rid of them out there when you can.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 02:39:50 pm »
LOL! That's funny!  140 years of trying to extirpate the song doggie and we got as many now as ever. In fact, we have them in states where they never existed before!

SDGF&P did a lot of research on 'yote population and the effects on hunting them.  Increased hunting pressure caused the coyote populations to rise and litters of pups went from 2-3 per litter to up to 8 per litter.  Also noted were the increases in livestock predation. What they learned was that stable populations with little or no hunting pressure led to lowered populations and larger hunting territories.  This was because the 'yotes could hunt day or night for their normal prey base...small rodents, snakes, bugs, and the like. Hunting pressure reduced their "comfort" level with typical foraging and encouraged them to take larger prey at higher risk levels in order to obtain greater rewards for less exposure to shooting.  The reduced territorial acreage meant more territories available, and an increase in numbers!

A new model of depredation control involves leaving them the heck alone unless a mated pair begins to take livestock.  They will teach their pups those techniques, so by culling those problem doggies and leaving others alone tends to reinforce normal behavior of focusing on small prey. 

I've enjoyed plenty of hours watching a Wiley mousing in a pasture or hay field.  Several times it has been within a flock of sheep, taking advantage of the sheep disturbing the mice, I surmised. Love 'em or hate 'em, you gotta give them a lot of respect for their adaptability and cleverness. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 02:53:11 pm »
I love dogs, yotes, fox, domestic, doesnt matter.  Id hate to shoot one. Specially a pup. I know plenty of folks of the other opinion. Shame yotes and fox seem to cause farmers such a hassle.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 03:38:40 pm »
Several years ago I began seeing a grown coyote stealing pears from under my very productive tree in the backyard late at night. It would approach a pear cautiously, stand over it looking around for danger, then snatch the pear and be gone. Within 2-3 minutes it would be back. I told my wife that it was feeding pups, and we both watched them that summer. Before long mama and some half grown pups were there every night snatching pears and racing for cover. Normally I would have shot any coyote on the spot, but those won our hearts.

WA

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2015, 03:44:26 pm »
To bad we caint tame them.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2015, 03:48:46 pm »
There's none on Vancouver Island--- yet. They must not swim well. The occasional grizzly makes it but they seem to starve.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 08:12:53 am »
We don't hunt them JW, but the population has really grown over the years.( must be deer population has grown which increasing food supply) Fox population has went way down also. Don't shoot fox but I shoot song dogs on site.  ;) Cute by the way bubby, problem is they grow up. >:(
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 11:02:50 am »
Coyotes are not native to Tennessee are they?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 11:14:35 am »
I read a study a few years ago that stated if you shot an alpha male the pack would go into a breeding frenzy to create a new alpha male.
 Also, in another article, the coyotes in the Eastern US came from supposedly sterile coyotes that were released by fox hunters. I guess they didn't closely check them all.  ::)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 05:32:05 am »
Not sure JW if we ever had any years ago, we didn't have any when I was a kid, but we got plenty now. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2015, 11:49:59 am »
Suburbs just outside Chicago are well stocked with yotes now.  Some have been electronically "collared" so their travels can be monitored and posted on forest preserve websites.  It's interesting to observe how they get around, largely unseen, in such densely people-populated areas.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2015, 12:59:20 pm »
Got to see two Red Fox kits while spring turkey hunting this year. Was the highlight of the season.