Author Topic: which is better  (Read 2859 times)

Offline rover brewer

which is better
« on: June 04, 2015, 07:07:05 pm »
this might start something which is better hill cane or river cane and why.
john 3:16

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: which is better
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 08:05:04 pm »
I bias to hill cane because it grows along the creek on my property...and because Art Butner told me it is the best arrow material he's ever used.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2015, 09:05:50 pm »
thanks Pat B , I could almost bet you would be the first one to answer. What is the differents and I didn't think hill cane would be close to water. I have a source by a creek but I was thinking it was river cane. Oh I'm still loving on my osage bow with 800 grit now and arrow shelf made with hard leather as you suggested looks cool I used black white and brown.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 09:14:04 pm »
Rover,
River cane can make some mighty nice arrows too.....I guess I'm just a little bias because I've got easy access to river cane.  :) ;)
Can't answer the why question never used hill cane.

Pat, I'm going to have to steal some of that hill cane from you one of these days.  should have talked to you at the Classic this year about some.

Is there a difference in hill cane and switch cane??
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 12:09:24 am »
Switch cane and hill cane are very similar. Both are about the same diameter(to 1/2") and height(6' to 7') but the switch cane usually has thinner walls and the sulcus(indentation above a node) is more pronounced in switch cane. Hill cane has thicker walls with a small center hole and there is very little sulcus above the nodes. Hill cane only grows in the southern Appalachian Mountains and is the only native cane that is deciduous. 
 River cane grows to 12' to 15', has relatively thin walls with a large center hole, it grows to 3/4" to 1" in diameter so normally only the top of a culm(cane) is used for arrows. River cane also has very pronounced nodes and a longer, wider sulcus.
 I have very good arrows made from all three native US cane. I prefer hill cane because it grows here.
Hit me at the classic next year, DBar. I'll have some more then.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 07:22:10 am »
from your description it is river cane I have growing by the creek thanks for clearing that up Pat B , and thanks for your reply Danz Bar I have made some arrows from river cane they are very nice but now that I know the difference I got some hill cane from someone at the classic and I see why it would be preferred nodes small and thicker walls. I'm surprised this post hasn't had more reply, maybe there isn't as many out there using cane.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 07:37:28 am »
Don't think I've ever broke a Hill cane arrow. If I have, I don't remember it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 07:45:36 am »
thanks Pearl Drums, but have you ever broke a river cane arrow that you remember.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 07:46:37 am »
Never used river cane.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 08:47:15 am »
I prefer hill cane.  Both of my self bow killed deer were taken with hill cane shafts.  Its smaller diameter, thicker walled, and has smaller nodes and leaf scars.  Its also easy to straighten and it stays straight.  I've tried river cane and didn't like the large nodes and leaf scars.  I have access to river cane but I trade for hill cane.  Dnznbar makes some fantastic river cane arrows from the stuff on his property.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 11:47:21 am »
Yes he does Clint!!
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 06:11:28 pm »
well looks like most prefer hill cane. thanks to all that took the time to reply.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 10:34:10 pm »
I would suggest try some of both and see what you like best. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2015, 11:31:52 am »
 I've never used river cain. I have made 8 arrows from hill cain.

Hill cain is a really good arrow materal and well wort the time invested makeing a arrow.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING