Author Topic: artical about making a Choctaw war arrow.  (Read 1962 times)

Offline Ed Brooks

artical about making a Choctaw war arrow.
« on: June 03, 2015, 02:11:40 pm »
This is an link to the Choctaw web site, it tells the basics about making an arrow. it shows a cut with stone tools to take out the knock that I have yet to hear anyone else mention anything like. if you look to the left of the screen there are a bunch of other links I thought some of you may enjoy. Ed
http://www.choctawschool.com/home-side-menu/iti-fabvssa/making-a-choctaw-war-arrow.aspx 

another link this one about arrow heads: http://www.choctawschool.com/home-side-menu/iti-fabvssa/making-a-choctaw-stone-arrow-point.aspx
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline DC

Re: artical about making a Choctaw war arrow.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 03:27:12 pm »
I copied this. I'm wondering if this is a misprint as I've never heard of this before. I've always seen it the other way around.

"Usually, the tip end of traditional arrows is made from what was the top end of the sapling as it was growing. This is because the top of the plant is more likely to grow with bends in it than is the base. Over time, straightened sections of arrow-shafts can warp back towards the sapling's original form. If warp has to occur, it is better for it to occur near the tip where it can easily be straightened out again, rather than at the base, where it will be covered by the feathers and difficult to restraighten."

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 05:12:19 pm »
DC  I seen in another one about arrows it mentioned cane arrows were made the other direction heavy end toward the point. I have made arrows out of wood both ways, I do it mostly top end is my point. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2015, 05:38:14 pm »
I've always used the butt of the shaft, cane or hardwood shoots, for the point end. The natural taper makes them more spine tolerant and gives weight forward property to the shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 08:36:59 pm »
I've always used the butt of the shaft, cane or hardwood shoots, for the point end. The natural taper makes them more spine tolerant and gives weight forward property to the shaft.

Amen.............Pat!
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking