Author Topic: Protecting fletching wraps?  (Read 3449 times)

Offline Willibow

Protecting fletching wraps?
« on: June 29, 2015, 11:09:06 am »
Howdy gang.

I've been using silk thread for fletching wraps on my arrows. ive been having a problem when I miss the target (happens more than I'd like to admit since I'm still pretty new to traditional). My fletching wrap string is being broken almost every time. Unfortunately, I shoot in a rocky area (in northern NV, everywhere is a rocky area  :P) and most misses send my arrows skipping across the dirt and rocks. Almost without fail, one of these incidents leads to broken fletch wraps.

Is there any way you've found that works to make them a little more durable? Maybe I'm not using a good material with the silk thread? Maybe there's some tough sealer I can add to add to the life span of a fletching wrap?

Thanks for any help! It's much appreciated!
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Protecting fletching wraps?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 12:45:15 pm »
I use heavy outdoor coat thread for fletching wrapping.  Then I soak it twice in liquid super glue.  I stretch a piece of a plastic shopping bag over my finger tip and use that to smooth out the super glue around the wrap.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Willibow

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 02:12:47 pm »
Thanks outlaw, the super glue and heavier thread are something I will have to try.  I used to use super glue to attach fletching, and I never needed to wrap them, but I recently switched to fletch-tite platinum. It is a lot softer and easier to rework after it has dried, but dang it sure doesn't seem to hold then fletching said down as well.

That, and I fell in love with the look of wrapped fletching.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 02:48:41 pm »
Here is what they look like

Offline Willibow

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 02:59:03 pm »
Thanks for sharing the pic, outlaw. I'm curious, what are the brown marks near the back of the fletchings? It looks like some heat was applied there?
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2015, 03:14:11 pm »
That's from a feather burner.  It got the finish to hot and scorched it.  Those marks bug the crap out of me.  They usually don't show on a natural colored shaft.  I'm going to try to keep it from doing that next time

Offline Willibow

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2015, 03:24:37 pm »
Thanks, I thought it might be some heat treatment or something to help keep feathers glued on.

-- Bowyers prayer

Offline agd68

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 01:32:15 pm »
Hey Willibow, I use clear nail polish to seal my wrapping. Works pretty good. Dental floss is a great fletching wrap.
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 02:33:08 pm »
Super glue works well with silk wrappings. Put it on and let it dry, sand with very fine sand paper, add more super glue, sand and add more super glue. This will give you a solid band around the fletching that is very strong and almost abrasive proof.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2015, 03:25:02 pm »
If you have a method of spinning the shaft(I use my lathe) you can squeeze the wrapping with a piece of scrap leather while dripping the CA on it. It turns out real smooth without sanding. I don't have enough hands to show the CA bottle.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 10:54:01 pm »
I paint watered down tb3 on my silk thread. Also, use 3 strands at least. I used to use super glue too, but I hate breathing that stuff if I don't have to