Author Topic: Osage recurve selfbow-Crack in the back!  (Read 16660 times)

Offline VanceMan

Re: Osage recurve selfbow-Crack in the back!
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2015, 03:25:41 pm »
I'm with Clint and Chris, but again that is just me, I will make a wrap or some minor repairs and might even do some preventive work on one I think could give trouble but after I get something like that in the back in a high stress area, a splinter raising is one thing, a crack across the back is another IMO. I'd cook brats with it. ;) :) Good luck, hope it works out for ya. :)
   Pappy

Well I've heard stories of people repairing limbs that are completely cracked through with sinew and since mine only has the back ring compromised I thought it would be worth it... Meh if it breaks oh well

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2015, 03:43:32 pm »
Don't blame you at all, you just ask for opinions and that was mine, you seemed to have your mind made up before you ask anyway. ;) Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline VanceMan

« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2015, 03:46:24 pm »
Don't blame you at all, you just ask for opinions and that was mine, you seemed to have your mind made up before you ask anyway. ;) Pappy

Haha maybe I did idk! I think the only reason I'm willing to risk it is that I'm working another stave right now so either way I'm sure to have a bow  ;D

And I really appreciate the opinions! It's good to hear from experienced bowyers

Offline bushboy

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2015, 05:33:41 pm »
Have you made many bows with that much reflex in the outer limbs(not to insult just asking)they can be a pain to get to break over.if you are fairly new I would set it aside for a while before continuing. If it were me I would take it down a couple. Rings to about a 20# at 28", add a thin bamboo backing and you would end up with a 50-60# when finished,my.02 cents
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline VanceMan

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2015, 05:41:59 pm »
Have you made many bows with that much reflex in the outer limbs(not to insult just asking)they can be a pain to get to break over.if you are fairly new I would set it aside for a while before continuing. If it were me I would take it down a couple. Rings to about a 20# at 28", add a thin bamboo backing and you would end up with a 50-60# when finished,my.02 cents

I've made one other with this much recurve...i gave it to a friend. I got it to tiller without breaking by wrapping the recurves with sinew then mainly removing wood on the recurves. It eventually got a nice even tiller but yeah its hard

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #50 on: July 07, 2015, 10:33:14 pm »
I used 1 course on that bow that spanned the crack by 3" on both sides and the crack was much the same.

Personally I would fix it, at the very least doing that will add to your knowledge base.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline VanceMan

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2015, 01:09:50 am »
I used 1 course on that bow that spanned the crack by 3" on both sides and the crack was much the same.

Personally I would fix it, at the very least doing that will add to your knowledge base.

Did you patch it long-ways or cross-ways down the bow (if that makes since). Also, do you think I should patch it special even if I am sinew backing this bow? I don't know because I've never had a crack like this before...ha.

mikekeswick

« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2015, 03:52:45 am »
No just lay the sinew down evenly.