Author Topic: Pacific Yew English Longbow - 50#@28" 70"  (Read 13833 times)

Offline alwayslookin

Re: Pacific Yew English Longbow - 50#@28" 70"
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2015, 08:54:05 am »
Beautiful bow Carson. I think I'm in love.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2015, 09:11:22 am »
Beautiful!

Did you hear about the English archer who got accused of cheating for using an arrow rest at Crecy in 1346?

No?

Neither did I.
The original post...states in it's first line.
"True to form English Longbow"

Personally I have no truck with rules and regulations and tend to shun formal competition for because of jobsworths and pedants who fuss about such trivia.
When I go field shooting I don't care if my bow is classed as primitive or considered to be some other category, I shoot for the fun of it and I make bows for the fun of it.
No English bows at Crecy would have had arrow rests probably no leather grips or arrow plates either.
Victorian longbows wouldn't have arrow rests either.

I don't actually giveadamn, but having said that.
The bow would not qualify as an ELB anywhere on this planet to the best of my knowledge:- and if it is to be shipped to the UK and used in competiton, it could cause the owner some serious embarrassment if it was noticed.
Some archery organisations actually specify that the leather grip must not be thick enough to act as an arrow rest.
I have had a bow returned because it was considered to have too much reflex to meed the BLBS definition of ELB. This caused me considerable inconvenience as I had to make a replacement bow.

I am in no way decrying the superb workmanship... I'm actually trying to be helpful in a (hopefully) amusing manner.
Maybe I've misunderstood the tone of your response, and maybe you've misunderstood the tone of my original post.
Maybe you've also missed my signature line ::).
Del
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 09:17:25 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2015, 09:48:14 am »
Gorgeous bow Carson, well done.  Excellent tiller as well

Offline Josh B

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2015, 10:04:13 am »
Absolutely gorgeous work Carson!  The detail work is certainly to your usual high standards.

Del...you'll have to excuse the new member.  Even I mistook your humor for a critical jibe once early on.  In time, your comical yet enlightened commentary and delivery will be appreciated by this new member as much as the rest of us appreciate it.  Josh

Offline Badger

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 10:21:52 am »
  Beautiful job!

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 10:34:05 am »
This is IMHO the best looking bow I've ever seen. I love English Longbows and I love yew wood.

Offline bowmo

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2015, 11:22:53 am »
Looks really nice! Very clean looking and a remarkably clean stave.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2015, 01:04:48 pm »
Nice bend ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline WillS

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 01:52:30 pm »
Would have to agree with Del in the sense that it's not an "English" longbow - but it does appear to be a very beautifully made hybrid of English and American styles. 

It's got all the class and style of something English, and the functionality and improvement of something made in America ;)  >:D

It is, however, exceptionally pretty and a perfect way to showcase a superb piece of wood.  I've always coveted that dark red glow of t.Brevifolia as compared to the pale pinky orange of t.Baccata.  You guys seem to have brighter, whiter sapwood as well.  Or maybe it's something you're doing with the finish...

Either way, stunning bow.  Congrats!

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2015, 02:01:11 pm »
Thanks guys! I am glad you like the bow.

Del, I am glad you pointed that out. That was something the customer and I only briefly discussed, and he said yes to a discrete shelf. I had no idea it was so forbodden to have a rest on an English longbow.  I will check with the customer and see if he is aware this could cause some issues for him were he planning on joining longbow societies, etc.
Thanks for educating me Del...just let me know when I can be done sitting in the naughty corner  ;)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2015, 02:05:13 pm »
Would have to agree with Del in the sense that it's not an "English" longbow - but it does appear to be a very beautifully made hybrid of English and American styles. 

It's got all the class and style of something English, and the functionality and improvement of something made in America ;)  >:D

It is, however, exceptionally pretty and a perfect way to showcase a superb piece of wood.  I've always coveted that dark red glow of t.Brevifolia as compared to the pale pinky orange of t.Baccata.  You guys seem to have brighter, whiter sapwood as well.  Or maybe it's something you're doing with the finish...

Either way, stunning bow.  Congrats!

The heartwood does appear darker in the photos thna it truly is. I was taking the photos in late evening light. I don't know about the sapwood being brighter white, but I did forget to mention the finish consisted of blonde dewaxed shellac flakes dissolved in moonshine, followed by alternating coats of linseed oil and beeswax.

Thanks Will!  :)
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline DC

« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2015, 02:39:29 pm »
shellac flakes dissolved in moonshine

Nice touch! I seem to remember turning a little pale the first time I tried shine

Offline WillS

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2015, 02:58:38 pm »
Moonshine?!  Yep, that ain't no English bow  ;D

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2015, 03:16:40 pm »
You can't dissolve shellac in tea >:D >:D

Offline WillS

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2015, 03:59:40 pm »
I say you can give it a bloody good go, old chap.  A bloody good go.

If it's "builder's tea" you might be able to.  Nice and strong, brewed for ages.