Author Topic: Mesquite stave questions  (Read 2424 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Mesquite stave questions
« on: June 24, 2015, 10:27:28 pm »
I'm getting a mesquite stave and was wondering how to dry it. I have heard that it moves a lot when drying. And do I use the sap or remove it like Osage?  Thanks in advance
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline alwayslookin

Re: Mesquite stave questions
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 10:47:26 pm »
Don't know about the drying never used it for bows. I know ed Scott like  s it for bows so it must be good. I use it to BBQ though hahaha
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 10:51:10 pm »
Mesquite is also prone to checking as it dries, so be sure to seal it good.  I've never tried chasing a ring on mesquite.  Out of five attempts at a selfbow using the sapwood as the back, I only managed to get one to hold together.  It does do well with a sinew back though and the wood is beautiful.  Josh

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 11:26:41 pm »
Mesquite is also prone to checking as it dries, so be sure to seal it good.  I've never tried chasing a ring on mesquite.  Out of five attempts at a selfbow using the sapwood as the back, I only managed to get one to hold together.  It does do well with a sinew back though and the wood is beautiful.  Josh

It is some beautiful wood. I've built stuff out of it and it takes a beautiful shine. I've never had to dry it though. So should I take the sapwood of and sinew it or leave the sapwood and sinew?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 11:41:39 pm »
I left the sapwood and sinewed and it worked out fine.  I like the contrast of the sapwood on the edges of the belly with heartwood down the middle.  All of my staves were saplings no bigger than 3" diameter.  Josh

Offline carpholeo

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:46:25 am »
Which type of mesquite is it ?

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 09:38:35 am »
Which type of mesquite is it ?

Not sure. What ever is most abundant in Texas.