Author Topic: Handle pop and kids bows  (Read 2433 times)

Offline DC

Handle pop and kids bows
« on: June 24, 2015, 12:41:10 pm »
Do lightweight(10-20#) bows with glued on risers tend to pop them off? I have a few OS staves that split end to end while drying and I'm wondering if I could make kids bows with them. Some might need risers and I thought the light weight might eliminate the handle pop worry.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Handle pop and kids bows
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 12:45:06 pm »
Its not the weight that pops a handle riser off, it is a bendy handle that usually causes it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 01:14:40 pm »
That crossed my mind but I thought that at the lighter weight the glue might hack it. Bendy handles then?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 02:30:08 pm »
...or a flexible riser like leather or cork.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 07:08:03 pm »
...or a flexible riser like leather or cork.
If ya go with the flexible riser approach, should ya hold off adding it to bow AFTER tillering is complete?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 07:57:43 pm »
I always wait till it's tillered and shot some before i add the cork and then do the final shaping on the handle section
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 08:01:20 pm »
I build a kids bow just like an adult bow, same mechanics involved, if any of them bend threw the handle it will pop off, when it all comes down to it a bow is a bow

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 09:48:59 pm »
That handle pop thing really has me buffaloed. If the glue won't take the bend why don't laminated bows come apart?

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2015, 10:50:27 pm »
Even a lam bow if tillered to bend to close to a rigid handle fade will concentrate pressure on the non bending piece and it will pop off get the belly above the plane of the rigid area and it won't pop off, this is completely differant than laminated limbs bending

Offline bowmo

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2015, 12:26:14 am »
It's all design...18" power lams...14" handle lams in adult bows. Designs that have a long glue line, which is stronger than a short one and long enough to bend a little.

But I agree with the bend in the handle with a built up grip design for kids bows. Easier to tiller, no handle to pop off, and can handle a little over draw better.