Author Topic: Elm ELB ??????????  (Read 2936 times)

ozark caveman

Elm ELB ??????????
« on: February 06, 2008, 03:53:52 am »
I have a massive piece of Elm. It's 82" long. I laid it out and I made the limbs 1-3/4" wide and it has a rigid handle. However it's a little higher crowned than I would like so I was wondering if I could go ahead and do a narrower Mary Rose design and still maintain a high draw weight with acceptable string follow? Thanks!

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
Re: Elm ELB ??????????
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 05:12:20 am »
Hi,  Why don't you ask the same question on the English warbow section.  Those guys make heavier bows than you're liable to be aiming for, but some of them have a lot of experience at making elm elb style bows.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

ozark caveman

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:00:42 am »
I tried that. Not much activity there?????????

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:07:11 am »
I've never made a warbow out of Elm but I see no reason why not, as long as there's enough depth left. The high crown will not be a problem with an Elm flatbow though as it is strong in tension.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

ozark caveman

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 10:30:07 am »
Thanks Marc! Now I'm torn between flatbow with a rigid handle or a MR design. What are the dimensions I should look for in a elm MR? If anyone has the ash dimensions I'm sure I can get close