Author Topic: good god, when does ipe let go!  (Read 6089 times)

Offline armymedic.2

Re: good god, when does ipe let go!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2008, 01:23:02 pm »
yes, learning they do require.  i am excersizing the limbs 30 times in between each scraping to get them a true read and used to bending.  when it is all the way i want it, i have done a bunch of 1/4 draw shots, to half, 3/4 and then full draw shots.  this is the way i learned (fronm books) to teach the limbs to unload quickly.

one thing i do not really understand.  ---why does a short string show tiller better than a long one?  the way im seeing it, if the string is loose and hangs down to say 5 inches on my tillering tree, and then i i have the bow bending to 20 inches, can't i consider it that i am seeing 15 inches of true tiller?  or does the string angle from it being loose change it that much because it is pulling form a slightly higher angle?
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.

Rich Saffold

« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2008, 01:53:10 pm »
The angle of the string affects the angle it pulls on the bow. Its real easy to end up with a bow bending too much at the tips using only a long string because of this angle.

Remember when the bow isn't strung, whether you are tillering with a short or a long string you are pulling the limbs around a point and  its different from being "bowed" or strung. If you have the limbs moving 15 inches you want to be tillering with it strung.

I teach beginners to look at their bow from different angles.. Try reverse drawing your bow. Put your bow hand where your fingers would normally go, and draw the bow back with your other hand, and look at the limbs flex. Ideally the outer limbs will start moving just before you see the whole limb down to the fades follow in a smooth arc with no straight sections.. by looking this way the straight or stiff sections really stand out due to the perspective you are looking at the limbs.. Try this on both limbs..Are they even?

There should be very little thickness taper between the fades and the tips. Perhaps your limbs a a little stiff near the grip?

Hope this helps..Keep it coming ;D

Rich

Offline armymedic.2

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2008, 02:04:23 pm »
it does help very much. precisely the answer i was looking for. once i get the animals all fed and get back from the dentist...argghh...im gonna work on her some more tonight.  i have a very gradual taper to the knocks, not nearly as much as with my hick and oak bow.  once i get finished tongiht i will put some pics up so we can really get a good look at her.  thanks for all of your help.
Some say freedom is free, well i have to disagree-
some say freedom is won, by the barrel of a gun.