Author Topic: rawhide backing  (Read 1667 times)

Offline jeffp51

rawhide backing
« on: June 26, 2015, 12:24:31 am »
At what point would you decide to add a rawhide backing?  I am working on a stave right now that has some pin knots on the back that are making me a bit nervous. I would think too many flaws on the back and you just move to a new stick. but this one has a nice natural reflex/recurve to it and an interesting combination of heartwood and sapwood that should be pretty when I am done.

Also Titebond II or Titebond III?

Offline wizardgoat

Re: rawhide backing
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 03:12:47 am »
I like to get mine to at least a low brace before I rawhide. Just to make sure that the string lies close to centre. If you rawhide and need to make any corrections later, your out of luck, and any bow that breaks at brace was probably not destined to be a bow anyways. I like TB3 for rawhide

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 08:24:36 am »
+2 with Goat. I've been using hide glue on the last few rawhide backings I've done but TBIII is what I used before.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 09:01:34 am »
I do the same as pat and Goat, except I usually get them to full brace and out to 10/12 inches at least to be sure they don't need any tweaking and also as Goat said if they won't do that on there own they probably ant going to make a bow anyway, Rawhide is a great back but it sure isn't fool proof, it will hold down a splinter but if it has major problems rawhide won't fix that.  :) Also I use TB3.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 02:34:09 pm »
I have come to prefer hide glue for hide backing. Nothing wrong with TB but I think the rawhide just sucks up the hide glue better.

Offline Willibow

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 02:51:51 pm »
I also back after reaching low brace, and use TB3.  A trick I learned is to soak the rawhide in hot water until it is pliable again and then to wash it real well with dish detergent. Had one backing fail because some small amount of fat and grease was left on it, preventing the glue from holding.
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 07:31:18 pm »
Another hide glue user here.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 10:39:54 pm »
I also back after reaching low brace, and use TB3.  A trick I learned is to soak the rawhide in hot water until it is pliable again and then to wash it real well with dish detergent. Had one backing fail because some small amount of fat and grease was left on it, preventing the glue from holding.

Hot is a relative term.  Hot enough and your rawhide will be ruined like sinew in too hot water!  Warm is good enough, even cold water will do just fine if you are a bit more patient.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 01:15:10 am »
Thank you.  Your advice makes very good sense.  I did some straightening and bending of tips tonight, along with a light heat treating.  We will see what it looks like here in a few days when I get it to a low brace.